𝟢𝟤𝟨,𝐭𝐰𝐨 𝐬𝐢𝐝𝐞𝐬

"What do you on mean she wasn't there?"

"Like I said, I went to get the key, saw it was gone, went to the Shack, knocked, looked through the window, and yelled her name, but she wasn't in there. She must've had that key."

This is bad. Like really bad.

Okay, maybe not.

Well, actually, yes. Lelia in fact does not know how to stay out of trouble.

I stare at Minho, who holds up his hands in defense. "It was her idea to steal the key in the first place."

"And you let her."

"She's not my pet. And come on, who would want to listen to Janson?"

Newt lies his hand on my arm. "Don't panic. I'm sure she has planned it and is now going out or something. She'll be okay, Lynn."

It's supposed to reassure me, but it doesn't. I want to tell myself it's probably not that deep, and that Lelia will be careful after all, but my mind won't allow me. It's going: oh, someone will put something in her drink/food and misuse her. Or it's repeating: she'll get drunk and do things she'll regret.

Or she might hurt herself. She might trip, black out, and freeze to death in the middle of the night. She might get lost. She might have to sleep in the cold. She might catch a cold. She might get involved with the wrong people. She might be in terrible danger. She might be finding people who she likes better than me and our current friends. She might never come back to the camp again. She might call Dad and tell him to pick us up, which means I'll be taken away from Newt, too. She might—

"Lynn." Newt squeezes my arm, voice soft. "Need to go somewhere else again? My favorite place?"

I take a deep breath, but it doesn't break the tightness that's somewhat always in my chest. "Maybe. I don't know, Newt— I just need to know she's alright and not doing dangerous things—"

"Wait. I have another idea." Newt jumps up and pulls me with him. Confused and even a tad overwhelmed, I follow him. "Try not to think about it. There's nothing we can do. We wait until the two days she has to spend in there alone are over. Still not back? Then we'll search. But I'm sure she has planned to come back just before Janson comes check."

That does reassure me a slight bit. Only the fact that he indeed might be right and that she'll be back soon. Yet it still doesn't tell me anything about safety.

"What are we doing?" I manage to notice I've been pulled into the kitchen. It's empty; we are the last ones having breakfast and the dishwasher is in another room, so there's no instructors around at the moment.

"Taking your mind off things."

"How?"

He carries a bag of flour onto the counter, smiling. "Do you like cookies?"