𝟢𝟦𝟣,𝐚𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐢𝐞𝐬

I swear I'm going either crazy, or something is wrong with my ears

I've heard clicks. Walking around on my own, going to bed, walking to the toilet, as we sport... there's often at least one. And when I turn around, I don't see anything. I even spent half an hour scanning the area for who or whatever is out there, but that only made me late to basketball, so now I have to clean the bathrooms.

Jorge or Vince would've saved me, had it not been for Janson who just happened to be next to the basketball field, checking if Jorge and Vince were educating well enough, and seeing if they were stern enough.

Things have gotten worse since the incident in hut two. Janson is even tidier with checking if everyone is at the meals. Ava and him make sure everyone is in their hut or tent before eleven, and it has gotten harder to sneak out, due to the camp instructors walking around the place.

But that has also made kids behave worse. I nearly threw my plate at one who wouldn't stop poking me in the side. And now, as I'm sweeping the cafeteria's floor before I will clean the tables and mop, a kid is purposely spilling his crumbs and has already knocked his glass over twice, then refilled it, walked back to his table while spilling more milk, and then knocked it over once again.

"Hey," I snap. "A little neater, please? Or you can go ahead and sweep."

"You're not a camp instructor. I don't have to listen to you," he says, ripping off a piece of bread. Another load of crumbs lands on the floor I just swept.

My knuckles turn white around the broom, but I don't know what to say back. And even if I do come up with a proud comeback, this kid is annoying enough to not bother.

"I'll give you five minutes to clean it up. That's a lot. Didn't do the job? You're leaving."

Him sticking out his tongue already says he's not going to do it, yet I still wait for five minutes. By that time, the whole cafeteria except for his table is clean.

"Alright. Out." I speed up my walk, then pull the kid off the bench, take his ear, and start pulling toward the exit. "I gave you a warning. Good night." I push him outside before I get back to work, praying he stays away.

Of course he doesn't. Three seconds later, he walks straight back in, scowling at me. I watch as he starts eating and drinking again, absolutely sick. "Didn't you hear what I said? Leave. This job needs to be done before eleven and I've only got half an hour left. It's way past your bed time, freaking rat. Get out."

This time, when I try to pull him away again, he pushes me back. "I will not listen to you! I can stay here 'till eleven."

I get why he's at this camp.

"But you're making a mess and I've asked you not to do it multiple times. Neither have you cleaned it up."

"You're the one who has to clean," he snarls.