𝟢𝟥𝟣,𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

"So how's it going there?" Dad asks

Lelia and I are sitting in front a webcam, our father on the screen in front of us. Besides some more tan, he hasn't changed. I have, and Lelia has, too.

I'm also tanned and my hair is way too long. I'm gonna have to cut it soon, but I don't know by who. I don't feel like paying money for a hairdresser. Minho seems professional about the hair, yet I doubt he knows how to cut.

Lelia's hair is a whole different color, she has gotten tanned too, and freckles are appearing on her nose.

"Good," I reply, excited. "We found great friends. They're amazing."

She nudges me in the side. "Especially Newt, right?"

I nod even heavier. "Yes. Newt's awesome. Oh, about Newt, we were wondering if it's okay if I spend the weekend and Newt's. He lives half an hour away from the camp, and I can tell you the address. And Newt's phone will be at his home so I can always call."

"I think that's fine. Lelia, you've seen this boy?"

"Yeah."

"He's decent?"

"Apart from the tattoo's and piercing, yes. He's so lovely. I actually smoked weed with him, Dad. It was fun."

"What—"

"She's kidding," I say fast, hitting her under the table. Suspicion stays on Dad's face. "I swear. I can ask Newt to come here and you'll see who he is."

"I'll just believe you," Dad ends up saying. "And you, Lelia? How stern are they?"

"Not very stern," she says. "For now."

The suspicion is back. "And you're just agreeing to all their methods without complaints."

"Yeah. Haven't gotten in trouble."

I sigh silently. Three days in the Shack. And I still haven't even asked for what reason she was there.

But I won't snitch to Dad... as long as she stops the jokes about our friends being junkies.

"You have any friends you wanna go home with? If Lyndon can go, so can you."

Her eyes light up. "Oh my God, yes. But who? Sonya, Harriet, Teresa, or Thomas? Maybe even Winston, but that might be awkward. I can bring Teresa. No, wait, I'll suggest if Thomas and Teresa wanna have a sleepover with me and I'll be the wingwoman."

"I have no idea who all these people are, but okay, do whatever you want, as long as the kids are decent, and you give me the number of their parents."

"I'm gonna ask." She's bouncing on her seat by now. "Let's go—"

"Hey, hey." Dad interrupts her with some laughs. "Let me catch up with y'all first. It's been way too long. How come you didn't call before?"