𝟢𝟧𝟫,𝐚𝐠𝐚𝐢𝐧

"Oh my God

"Oh my God."

Newt buries his head in his hands, sighing.

I look up to see Thomas approaching and frown. "I'm sure that yesterday, you were still healed from your wounds."

"If you say you did this on purpose so Teresa will kiss your forehead again, I'm going to kill you," Newt says.

His eye is blue again. His lip is cut, again. He has abrasions on his cheeks. Again.

"No," he says. It confuses me even more that he doesn't even sound sad. More like... excited and angry at once. "I got him, Newt."

"Eh, who?"

"I don't know."

Huh.

"The man we saw in the woods," Thomas hints.

"You saw him."

"Yes. I saw him again and ran straight up to him. He punched me first but I swear I hit him harder. Then he ran off."

"And you didn't follow him," Newt says dryly.

"No. He was too fast."

"I thought you beat him up a lot, and that you were faster."

"Uhm." He scratches the back of his head. "Okay, I might've left a few things out—"

"Thomas!" I slam a hand to my mouth, eyes wide at his throat. A red line runs across it, almost cutting through his skin.

He looks down, but can't reach the damage with his eyes. Then he realizes. "Well, er, okay, I might've left a lot out and I might've not beaten him up that much."

Newt jumps up worriedly and starts inspecting the boy's throat. "What happened?"

"He might've choked me with my T-shirt. Pulled the back of it up, you know..." Shame replaces the proud expression he wore before.

"And then? You think he changed his mind about killing you?"

"I don't remember."

I can clearly see that Newt's getting annoyed at how ridiculous this it. "What do you mean you can't remember?"

"I was out." Thomas crosses his arms, nodding. "Yeah, the memories are coming back."