chapter 56

Chapter 56: Chapter 56: Catching Loach 1

Xiao Siqian looked at the group of children surrounding the pond, feeling eager to join them.

He said to Xiao Jinli, “Little sister, let’s go take a look!”

Ad

Xiao Jinli raised her eyebrows and nodded slightly, “Alright then.”

It was summer, so it wasn’t cold anyway.

When they reached the pond, Xiao Siqian asked, “How big is this pond?”

Xiao Jinli replied, “It seems to be one and a half mu, which is quite large.”

Is it really? Xiao Siqian thought that this pond didn’t seem as big as the one in his home.

The pond at his house was half the size of this one and also had fish, but they were all very precious ornamental fish.

This pond was surrounded by weeds, and there was a frame built at one end, covered in pumpkin and melon vines, wrapping tightly around it. From a distance, it looked like a small house.

Water bamboo and lotuses were also planted in the pond.

However, Xiao Siqian recognized the lotus but not the water bamboo.

He asked directly, “What are those clumps that look like reeds? They look like reeds but their leaves are bigger and greener.”

Xiao Jinli replied, “That’s water bamboo!”

“Water bamboo? What is that?” Xiao Siqian asked curiously, “Can it be eaten?”

“Yes, water bamboo can be eaten.” Xiao Jinli nodded, “It can be eaten raw or cooked! When eaten raw, it’s tender and crisp; when cooked and stir-fried, especially with beef, it’s very delicious.”

When Xiao Siqian heard her explanation, his mouth watered, wanting to try it.

Xiao Jinli glanced at him and said with a smile, “It’s actually the perfect season to eat water bamboo. I can ask Uncle Da Chun to pick some for us later if you want.”

Xiao Siqian didn’t refuse.

The children were initially excited to see Xiao Jinli, but when they noticed the mud and dirt on their clothes, they dared not come closer.

Everyone in the village, young and old, knew that Xiao Jinli was especially fond of cleanliness.

She didn’t like those who were unhygienic.

Everyone wanted to be liked by Xiao Jinli, so if anyone wanted to see or play with her, they had to be clean from head to toe.

“Jinli!”

“Sister Jin Li!”

Older children called her Jinli, while younger ones called her Sister Jin Li.

“Sister Jin Li, what are you doing here? Are you here to catch fish too?” A seven or eight-year-old child asked.

Xiao Jinli nodded, “Yes, I’m here to catch loaches today. I want to eat Loach Tofu.

“Jinli wants to eat loaches? I’ll catch some for you later.”

“Sister Jin Li, I’ll catch loaches for you too!”

The children, big and small, competed with each other to catch loaches for Xiao Jinli.

Xiao Jinli raised her hand and said loudly, “Alright, once you catch them, I’ll buy them from you.”