chapter 66

Chapter 66: Chapter 66: Fear of Leeches

After participating in the drying of rice, Xiao Siqian took part in transplanting rice seedlings in the field.

He knew that there was manure in the field, but by this point in time, he had adjusted his mindset and didn’t feel too burdened about it anymore.

Xiao Wanshan instructed Xiao Siqian saying, “Little Quan, since you don’t know how to transplant seedlings, you can handle the process of extracting seedlings. ”

The so-called “extracting seedlings” refers to the process during transplanting wherein one or two threads are drawn from one end of the field to the other, straightly. After that, the transplanting begins one by one, along the thread. This method creates straighter and more visually pleasing seedlings, making future weeding and fertilizing easier.

Rural children are not very proficient in planting seedlings. Once the adults have drawn the lines, they instruct the children to transplant along these lines.

Xiao Wanshan demonstrated as he explained, “All you have to do is transplant along this line. The distance between two seedlings should be around twelve centimeters. Also, don’t plant the seedlings too deeply. About half the depth of our thumb is fine.’

While saying these words, he purposefully glanced at Xiao Siqian’s fingers. They were slender and long, much like a girl’s. He added, “Your fingers are a bit longer, so you wouldn’t need to use half of your finger.”

Xiao Siqian watched attentively and after a while, he nodded, “Okay, Uncle, I

understand.”

Xiao Wanshan smiled heartily, “Ha ha, Little Quan is indeed a smart kid.

Alright, I will entrust this task to you then. Our family doesn’t have much land.

With six people in the field, we can finish all the work in a morning.”

If it was just his family doing the work, it would take them more than a day.

But Xiao Wanshan always believed in finishing work early and thus, he would hire help every year.

In fact, the work in the field was just his part-time job. He needed to finish it quickly so he could return to his main work.

After Xiao Siqian got to the field, he took a bundle of seedlings. After undoing the straw, he bent over along the line and began planting one by one.

In the beginning, he was rather clumsy. The heights of the seedlings he transplanted were uneven, but the distance between each seedling was like it was measured, all of the same length.

Xiao Wanshan praised him, “Little Quan, you’re doing well.”

Hearing Xiao Wanshan’s praise, Xiao Siqian had a bashful smile.

He felt embarrassed for being praised just for doing this amount of work, but at the same time, he felt rather warm inside.

This family is wonderful. They lived in harmony and happiness. It was a blessed family.

If possible, he wanted to stay in this family, taking on the persona of son, younger brother, and older brother permanently.

But alas… A flicker of complex emotion flashed across Xiao Siqian’s eyes.

After a moment, Xiao Jinli came over with her hands full of extracted seedlings.

She looked at Xiao Siqian doing work and laughed, “Brother Little Quan, you’re doing a great job for your first time doing this kind of work. You’re really amazing. ”