Chapter 31

"What do you mean you killed his mother?"

I could still hear Brendon pounding on the barrier placed by Aurora. I didn't know what I would do without her.

"I was young. They wanted me to prove my worth as their future Luna so they took me into the cells where we held the prisoners. They said there was a wolf down there who had terrorized our village and had planned to kill everyone. When I got down there, the woman in the chair looked so beaten down. They handed me a knife and told me to kill her.

I was going to do it too. I was fully prepared to kill her to prove myself to my pack, but then she looked up, and her eyes were so full of hope. With everything my father did to her, she still seemed happy. I could not kill someone who looked so hopeful. She didn't look evil to me. I didn't want to kill her."

My voice started to crack as I felt the tears streaming down my face. Brendon had also stopped to listen. "Then why did you?" I heard the malicious tone in Brendon's question, and it broke my heart.

"I was made to, I tried to walk away, but my father gave me the command to kill her. I couldn't stop myself. I made my way over to her and plunged the dagger into her heart. Her last action was to smile at me. I killed her, and she couldn't even hate me for it. I didn't know it was his mom until I saw the pictures. "

Aurora came up to me and embraced me, "it wasn't your fault."

She pulled away and walked outside of the barrier to talk with Brendon. They exchanged words, but I was deaf to my surroundings. I didn't want to hear how Brendon hated me. I wouldn't be able to deal with it if he didn't want me anymore.

I saw him walk off back towards the house. Aurora turned around and picked me up from the ground. "Come on, we'll go to my house for a while."

The air around us shifted, and when I opened my eyes again, we were in a strange house. "Come on upstairs. The pack will be awake by 7, and breakfast will be ready by then, so let's get some sleep." She led me up the stairs to what looked like a guest room.

"There are clothes in the dresser you can use in the morning if you would like. Get some sleep, okay."

She left me in the room alone with one last hug. Curling up on the bed, I cried till I fell asleep, missing the warmth of Brendon.