Chapter 35

Explosions rang out around us as the witches did their best to try and fight off the wolves coming at us with full force. Brendon had hoped by secluding us further into the forest that, the humans in the area would not be aware of what was going on. While that may be true, being out in the woods made it much harder to try and tend to our wounded. It also made it hard to figure out where the front line was because my father's pack was attacking from all sides. Some of the witches were able to hold their barriers, but too many wolves had already made it through.

I closed my eyes and focused on Brendon, figuring out how he was fairing against all these pure bloods. Brendon was fighting alongside Aurora's mate Darren. They looked like masters. Even though I always saw Brendon as the docile type, he kept up with Darren, who I had learned was the Alpha of one of the military packs. Wolves were surrounding them. I could feel his fear, but his determination to protect our pack was more powerful.

I had not realized that I literally saw the battle through Brendon's eyes until his voice rang out in my head, I'm okay, tend to the wounded babe.

He was right. I was given the job of trying to patch things up. The main reason for this was that I was still weak from the dark magic in my system. He knew that I would be fine if I fought one on one in a duel, but war was different. Wars were fought with dirty tactics that would take advantage of my weakness. I threw bandage after bandage on wolf after wolf, and even quite a few witches.

With every new patient that came in, my hope was deteriorating. How many wounded could we handle before we would lose and everyone die? Even with the witches helping, I knew we couldn't last much longer. It seemed my father had gotten help with other packs as well.

While waiting for my next patient, I decided to sneak back into Brendon's mind. I felt him resisting me, which frustrated me. I was going to see what was happening. I pushed just a little harder and saw why Brendon was trying to keep me out of his head. Standing in front of Brendon was my father. Brendon was not going to stand a chance if this continued on. Brendon was tired and heaving while my father just stood there, looking at Brendon, confused.

Snapping back into my own head, I took off. I knew that I should not have gone into the war zone, but I had to. I couldn't let Brendon die if there was something that I could do to protect him, even if that meant I would have to kill my father. Shifting, I zoomed through the trees with my target in mind.

As I approached them, I saw that Brendon had lost control. He changed into a jaguar, hoping to overpower my father, getting the advantage from the trees. But that wasn't going to work because I saw something he couldn't. Raul was hiding off into the distance with a weapon pointed straight at Brendon.

I heard the shot, and before I could even register my thoughts, I jumped with all my might. I saw the blood, and then I saw his eyes, filled with so much pain, they grew closer to me, and as they did, I saw myself reflected within them. A girl bloody and broken ready for the moon goddess to call her home. I saved my mate, and because of that, I could go.

"Do you remember this morning?" I whispered as his eyes filled with tears. He nodded yes and smiled up at me. "Good, you better not forget it." I smiled up at him, and my vision began to blur, "I love you, Brendon." As I closed my eyes, I took myself back to that morning, when everything was peaceful, and I was in Brendon's arms just like this.