Chapter 57

"Good morning!!!!" Alexander shouted opening the curtains.

"What time it is?" I mumbled, hoping to earn some extra hours of sleeping.

"8 a.m." He replied like nothing was happening.

"Are you serious????" I moaned throwing a pillow at him.

"Yeah, I am."

"Just leave and come back in a couple of hours..." I moaned again.

"And postpone the first day of your training??? Not for the world!!!"

"My what?" I exclaimed snapping out of my sleepy mood.

"The first day of your training."

"Training for what? Please I'm not in the mood of learning everything about football right now."

"I never said anything about football training. I was talking about training you how to defend yourself. From a vampire." I looked at him wide-eyed. "Do you really think I would leave you return to Mystic Falls without knowing at least how to defend yourself?"

"I had already learned the basics from your mother." I said annoyed trying to hide under my pillow.

"Well, this is exclusive training." He answered cheerfully.

"And how do you know how to kill a vampire?" I said regaining my voice.

"I'll explain. But first you need to have a cup of coffee."

After a cup of coffee and a cupcake...

"So you are saying that prophetesses' husbands received special training in order to protect them?"

"Yes. As it was taken for granted that a girl would be born, their fathers would undertake to train their future husbands when they were at a marriage age. If they successfully finished their training, they were allowed to marry the girl. If not, someone else would take their place."

"But that was happening centuries ago, right?" It took him a while.

"The protection of a prophetess is of great importance. So, it is natural to follow this tradition even now."

"Which means that my father went through this training before marrying my mother?"

"Yes. As far as I know your grandfather was still alive when your parents got married."

"I don't really know much about my grandfather. My Granny doesn't like talking about him. Or my dad. I wonder why."

"I guess we will figure it out." A moment of silence passed. "Ok, enough with the breakfast. You need to be trained." He said in a serious tone, standing up.

"Ok coach!" I replied less enthusiastic than him.

"So you need first to be taught how to punch somebody. A punch bag at first, then a human and a vampire in the end." Alexander's voice echoed in the large gym he had rented for us today. A punch bag was in front of me and I wasn't really sure I could do it. At least I could try. "Firstly you have to stay focused. Do not ever lose your focus. Because it's sure your enemy will take advantage of that. Secondly, your wrists must be straight. Remember if they are not, there is a possibility to break them. Thirdly, your fists must be tight, but not too much. Don't put too much strength in your punch, but also do not put less than is needed. Balance is the key. Do you understand?"

"I thought we would practice on a punch bag."

"At first, yes. But, I have to give you general information about our way of training. You have to know it's not going to be easy."