Chapter 138

"Your people are uniquely poised to set an example for the rest of the French Quarter. Which is why it's important for the wolves to attend." Elijah explained to Hayley, Jackson and Oliver.

Apparently, he had agreed to let the witches throw a party in their honour. Knowing Elijah, he wasn't too happy agreeing with that, but for the sake of the greater good, he had to oblige. I was just leaning against a tree watching the four of them, not bothering to take part in the conversation. It was not my business after all.

"Thanks, but no thanks?" Hayley replied ironically. I was expecting such a reaction and I didn't blame her for thinking this way.

"Let's hear the man out." Oliver said. I furrowed my eyebrows in disbelief. Since when Oliver defended a vampire? And Elijah in particular? Knowing him, he would have already started yelling.

"The witches are the ones that cursed your pack. And they have been nothing but crap to me, since I first came into town. No! We are not going." Hayley said determined not to change her mind.

"It's a new day in the Quarter, Hayley." Jackson pointed out. "I agree with Oliver." Oliver smiled at his words. I frowned. Something was definitely wrong here. "If we are gonna to coexist, we have to play ball. We will send a representative with a gift." He said turning to Elijah.

He turned his gaze to me and I knew we were thinking exactly the same thing. That was easy. It was TOO easy, to be exact. Hayley turned around and left, clearly upset and soon Jackson and Oliver followed. I followed them with my gaze, until I lost them from my sight. I was expecting Elijah to have left, but instead he was still standing at the same spot, observing me. I turned my gaze towards him, raising an eyebrow. He approached me slowly.

"What's your opinion about this?" He asked me, looking me straight in the eye.

"I smell a rat." He scoffed.

"I thought so." He stared at me for a little bit. "I'll warn Hayley." He added.

"Of course." I said, a little bit too ironically than I should have and turned my back to him, walking the other way.

"I was hoping that I'll see you this evening." It was my turn to scoff.

"That's not my decision, Elijah." I said not turning to face him and continued my way to the others.

That evening...

"I thought residing in the countryside would mean getting away from all this partying, but apparently I was wrong

"I thought residing in the countryside would mean getting away from all this partying, but apparently I was wrong." I said to Hayley as we made our way to the place where the party would be held. She laughed.

"Well, you know very well that you are not obliged to follow me everywhere like a dog." I chose to ignore her ironic tone and instead I replied with a smile.

"And leave you in a room full of vampires and witches, who despite this truce you have signed, they wouldn't hesitate to kill you and your baby. I think not." She just nodded and kept walking without saying anything else. As we were approaching the building an interesting conversation caught my attention.