Chapter 98

Elijah's P.O.V.

How dared she? How could she do that to her? I looked at Cassandra in desperation. It was my fault. I should have never let her anywhere near my mother. I looked at Niklaus who looked like he had seen a ghost. The redheaded woman was standing across Cassandra who seemed that she was about to break at any minute.

"Hello my daughter." The woman spoke up. She made a step towards the circle boundary.

"Mom... Is that you?" Cassandra asked with a trembling voice. It killed me to see her like that.

"Yes, honey. It's me." The woman replied calmly taking another step forward.

"What... What are you doing here?" She asked again.

The woman turned to look at Esther. "I'm afraid Cassandra that your friends will try to stop me from performing this ritual. I'm not surprised, actually. That's why I have an alternative plan. As you probably already know, I'm drawing power from the entire Bennett bloodline, living and dead. But, if something goes wrong, I want another bloodline to draw power from. If you enter this circle, I'll be able to draw power from you and your ancestors and in this way I'll be able to fulfill my purpose. In return, the spirits will allow your mother to return to the living world. All you have to do is enter this circle and your whole life will be back to normal. At least most of it."

Cassandra looked like she couldn't breathe. I looked at Niklaus and he looked me back. He wasn't going to try to change her decision whichever that was. Then, we both looked at Kol. He agreed with us silently. She had won everyone. I looked at her concerned. I could see the pain in her eyes. It killed me. I would rather die than see her like that.

Cassie's P.O.V.

I froze. So she was asking me to sacrifice my lover in order to bring my mother back. It couldn't be real. That was definitely not real. Was Esther that powerful to manage to deceive even me? I took a glimpse of Elijah, Klaus and Kol. They seemed frozen as well. But, none of them was willing to kill me in order to save themselves. I turned to look again at my mother.

"Darling, are you ok?" She asked worryingly. I shook my head negatively. She took another step towards me. "This is as far as I can go. But, if you come in, this is going to change. We will have another chance together. We will recover all these lost years. We can be a family together." She said.

I wanted so much to enter that circle. I wanted so much to be normal again. To have a family. To live with my mother. To be away from the entire supernatural world. But, I couldn't. Because I was part of it. And I would always be... A tear escaped my eye, as I had taken my decision.

"Mom..." I said in difficulty.

"Yes, darling?" She encouraged me.

"Do you love me?" I asked weakly feeling the pain getting greater and greater every moment.

"Of course I do, honey. I always will." She replied.

I lowered my head. God, this is so difficult! I turned to look at Elijah. He looked like he was suffering. She followed my gaze. By her reaction to what I would say to her, I would find out if she was indeed my mother and not another of Esther's tricks.

"Then, you will forgive me for this." I said taking a step back. Esther seemed astonished by my reaction, as everyone else. She didn't expect such a thing. "You died mom. I can do nothing to change it. No one can. You saw it. We should not go against fate." I said tears streaming down my face. She smiled and nodded.

"I understand." She just replied. Then, she turned to Elijah and looked him in the eye. "Take care of my daughter." These were her last words before disappearing.