Chapter 59

"May I have your attention, please?" Alexander raised his voice. Everyone in the room stopped talking, turning their attention to Alexander. "I suppose everyone knows the reason we are here. A few days earlier, Cassandra had the idea that the disappearance or deaths of our fathers, was not just a coincidence. And as she is a prophetess, I think we have a good reason not to doubt this theory. Our personal stories are known, so we have to arrange a plan of action."

"What should we do?" Liam asked.

"I think it's better to start from our birth places." I replied.

"Why?" Carmela asked.

"Honestly, I don't know."

"I think we should trust her instinct." Milena commented.

"Let's start from your birth place. I think it's nearer than ours." Lucas suggested.

"That's the problem. I don't know where I was born." I replied shrugging.

"What?" Several people asked in disbelief.

"I grew up in Mystic Falls, but I wasn't born there."

"Is there any way to find it out?" Iphigenia asked.

"I'm afraid not. A couple of years ago, I found my birth certificate along with the pictures of my father and grandfather. As you know, there were very well-hidden. In the place where the name of the father and birth place should be mentioned, it was blank. That's why I took my mother's last name."

"How is that even possible?" Lucia and Laura asked in unison.

"I suppose if somebody is paid a lot of money to make them disappear, it's not that difficult."

"So any other ideas?"Alexander asked. I noticed Vladimir and Milena exchanging looks. Then they nodded, like they were making a silent agreement.

"I think it should be better to start from our birth place." Milena spoke first.

"And the place has remained mostly untouched. It is believed that it is haunted by our parents' ghosts." Vladimir continued with an ironic tone.

"I agree." I said almost immediately. Everyone in the room turned to look at me. Mostly because of the assurance my voice revealed.

"Are you sure?" Alexander asked me.

"Yes." I replied steadily.

"So, we are heading to Bulgaria then."

The next day...

We had just arrived to Bulgaria and we were heading to Vladimir and Milena's former house. I hoped this trip to end up well, because I had raised the hopes of so many people. I would hate to see them disappointed. I didn't want either to be disappointed. During the whole journey, I was silent which caught Alexander's attention.

"I'm sure we will find something." He encouraged me.

I didn't know. Although my instinct told me that we were on the right path, I kept doubting it. I was too afraid to believe. I was too afraid to believe that I was so close to solving a mystery from my childhood. I was too afraid to believe that I would finally get some answers. I was too afraid to find out the truth.

Some houses were visible in the distance and I couldn't hold my excitement. I felt we were getting closer to the answers we were all craving for.

"Our house was the most isolated from the others. It was built near the woods, so you could say it wasn't hard to find." Vladimir explained, probably referring to his parents killers.

"Do you really think we will find anything that will help us with our search?" Sofia asked me whispering.

"I hope so."