Therapy

When I opened my eyes the next more, I regretted it. All I wanted to do was sleep all day rather than go to the group therapy today. I groaned as I looked at the clock that read almost ten in the morning. The session today was from noon to 1:30 but the end time could vary depending on who wanted to talk and how long that lasted for. My uncle had told me a little about the group when I was done begging for him not to make me go. Unfortunately, he sided with my aunt.

            I'd already decided that I wasn't going to be talking. When I was certain on something, that was what was going to happen. Uncle Jim told me that man who ran the ground was named Ryan Franks and that he was kidnapped and abused when he was younger so he decided to create this group after he got a degree in psychology. He wanted to help teens who have been in similar situations as him. Sure, it seemed like a good program, I'm totally heartless. I'm sure it helps a lot of people but not me. There were other ways for me to cope with my past rather than hanging out with a bunch of teens.

           Fifteen minutes later, my alarm went off, forcing me to actually get out of bed and get ready for the day. I grabbed an outfit the day and headed to the bathroom to take a shower. I turned on my phone and started to play music, playing it as loud as it would go. I knew my aunt and uncle wouldn't be asleep so I had nothing to worry about.

           Once the water was warm enough, I stripped out of my clothes. I glanced in the mirror, looking at the scar that was on my stomach from where I was shot. Then I couldn't help but look down at my leg where another scar laid. I sighed loudly before turning away from my reflection. I hopped into the shower, letting the warm water drench me. I loved showering, mainly because it gave me time to be truly alone and time to think. It could also be because when I was kidnapped, I wasn't able to shower as often. It was something I took for granted.

            As I finished up in the shower, I started to go into a deep thought which was never good. My mind is a very dangerous place. Maddie's face popped into my head which the lead to Ethan and my parents. Part of me wished that I would get amnesia and just forget everything that ever happened to me. That was a horrible thing to wish but at least I wouldn't be haunted by the past. Then I thought of my talk with Uncle Jim.

             "Have you considered that you might actually need this group? Whether you want to believe it or not, you have built up feeling that most people don't have and can't relate too. You may need to talk about it before you're consumed with these feelings." He said.

            I knew he had a point and I wanted to agree with him but people cope in different ways. What if this wasn't my way of moving on? I'm sure I could find other ways to release these feelings. If I ever needed to talk, I could go to Robbins. She knew more than anyone what happened to me and I was comfortable talking to her about Kyle. But if she agreed with this group, I guess I'd have to go at least once.

           I got out of the shower and examined the outfit I had grabbed. It was a white shirt that was lace but not see through and a pair of light blue jean shorts with cream-colored sandals. I usually didn't wear anything but gym shoes but since it was so hot outside, I'd have to get used to wearing open-toed shoes. Once I was done getting ready, I headed downstairs and grabbed an apple to eat. I wasn't feeling hungry because my nerves were eating me away already. I just didn't know what to expect from this group.

         "That's all you're eating?" My aunt's voice filled the room.

           "Yeah, I'm not that hungry." I replied.

             She sighed loudly, probably wanting me to hear her, not that I cared. If she really was mad at me for only eating an apple then that was her problem. She grabbed her car keys and headed outside. Since I was sixteen, I had my driver's license and could have easily driven myself but my aunt was too smart. If she would have let me drive, I would have ditched the group and found something else do for a few hours. I hadn't been able to explore the town yet so I could always do that. Now, by her driving me, she knows that I'll actually be at the meeting.