Life As I Knew It

My eyes widened when I saw Robbins standing before me. I rushed over to her and wrapped my arms around her. Tears poured from my eyes as I realized I was actually free from Kyle. We stood in the parking lot of the police station, hugging and crying. Yes, she was actually crying when she saw me and I couldn’t control my emotions either.

“L-Landon, we have to save him.” I sobbed.

“Okay, let’s get in my car.” She said running over to her police car.

I got in the passenger side of the car and listened to her command all units to follow her into the woods. She gave directions to nearby officers as I told her where the cabin was located. My heart was racing and all I wanted was to be in Landon’s arms.

“Are you hurt at all?” She asked.

I shook my head no, even though my legs and arms were badly scratched up, it wasn’t anything major. I missed seeing her. She had bags under her eyes and her hair was falling out of her ponytail. She looked like a wreck. I felt bad for her and wondered if she had heard about Dole. I wasn’t going to mention it yet until we got to the cabin. She probably already knew anyways.

“I’m so happy you’re okay. There is something I need to tell you.” She said and by the tone of her voice, I could tell that it wasn’t good.

“What?” I asked, afraid of her answer.

“You’re aunt and uncle left and aren’t coming back. They put me in charge of you. They didn’t want to put up with the kidnapping anymore.” She said, and I could hear the pain in her voice.

“I know.” I whispered.

“You do? How?” She asked.

“I didn’t know that they asked you to take care of me but Kyle had said that left. I for some reason believed him and I guess he was telling the truth.” I explained.

“Damn it, I’m so sorry, Kelly. I tried to convince them to stay.” She said as we drove through the woods. Just being back in them, freaked me out. I didn’t say anything to her comment. After about ten minutes of driving in the woods, we reached the cabin. I clenched my fists, hating to see this place already.

“I want you to lock the doors, and stay in here. My backup is pulling up so they will protect you.” Robbins instructed.

I nodded, not wanting to go inside that cabin again. Just looking at the outside of it sent shivers up my spine. I hoped Kyle was still sleeping and would have a nice awaking in handcuffs. I watched as Robbins and five other officers went into the cabin. The rest of them circled the cabin, making sure no one was getting out.

About five minutes later, Robbins exited the cabin, frowning. Oh God, where was Kyle at? Why did no one have him? Hopefully, he was dead or something. Please don’t let him be alive and somewhere else? Then tears filled my eyes when I didn’t see Landon anywhere. I jumped out of the car and went to run into the cabin, hoping I wouldn’t find his dead body.  Robbins stepped in front of me though, and grabbed me so that I didn’t go into the cabin.

“Where is he?” I sobbed.

“The cabin was empty. No dead bodies, but no living ones. Kyle and Landon are gone.” Robbins replied.

My mouth dropped open as I stared at her in disbelief. Landon was gone? Kyle would kill him and it would be my fault for escaping. I started to bawl my eyes out as Robbins held me in her arms. Several police officers nearby, gave me sympathetic looks. I shook my head, not wanting to believe her when she told me Landon wasn’t there.

“A-are you sure? He has to be there.” I cried.

“Kelly, we searched every inch of the cabin. There’s no one there.” She said.