The Call

The wind blew through Robbins hair which sent a chill up her spine. She stood alone, away from the rest of the officers. She leaned against the drivers’ side car door as she tried to find the words to say over the phone. The caller’s voice echoed her ears. “I see you’re looking in the wrong place.”

“Who is this?” Robbins finally spoke.

“You really don’t recognize my voice? That’s a shame, isn’t it?” He said.

Robbins focused on the voice as it spoke and tried to think of who it could be. Then a name popped into her head. Impossible. There was no way it could be him. He couldn’t be making the call right now, let alone be in Florida.

“It’s impossible. You can’t be calling me now.” She said, still in disbelief.

“How am I calling you then? Also how did I know you were looking in the wrong place for Kyle?” The voice asked.

“Dole, are you out of jail?” Robbins asked, already knowing the answer.

“What do you think?” He asked and even though she couldn’t see him, she knew he was smiling at the comment. He was actually out of jail. There was no way he could have known that Robbins was looking for Kyle in the woods at this time unless he was near. She looked around, hoping to see him somewhere but it was useless.

“Looking for something, or should I say, someone?” He said chuckling softly in the background.

“Dole, where are you? You’re only hurting yourself if you don’t come out.” Robbins said calmly.

“You should be reminded that I was a cop. I know what you’re trying to do and it won’t work. Sorry.” He said.

“So what’s your plan then? Are you going back to Kyle?” Robbins asked.

“Who do you think helped me out of jail?” He asked.

“Dole, I know you better than Kyle. We were best of friends; you don’t have to do this. Tell me where Kyle is and I promise you that I will find a way to shorten your sentence, and maybe even eliminate it.” Robbins said, hoping he would buy the BS she was saying. She knew Dole used to be a police officer but maybe he would believe her.

“Bull shit, this goes two ways. I know you just as well as you know me. I actually may know you better. You shouldn’t make promises you can’t keep.” He spoke.

“You were good before, what happened?” She asked, wanting to know what happened to her best friend.

“Jail happened. They say jail changes you, and it’s true. Now, I have to go and meet Kyle. But don’t worry; I will see you again, even if you can’t see me.” He said, hanging up the phone before Robbins could speak again. 

Robbins sighed in frustration as she looked around, hoping to see Dole somewhere. When she saw nothing, she ran to where the other officers were and told him about Dole and to start searching the area.

After hours of searching every part of the woods, Robbins finally gave up the search and ordered everyone to start searching other places for Kyle. Dole could be anywhere by now, probably with Kyle, who still isn’t found.

While everyone was out searching, she was at the station, filling out paper work about Kyle and now Dole. She had confirmed that Dole had escaped this early this morning. Robbins was furious that she wasn’t informed right away but that was the past. Now, Robbins was responsible for finding Kyle and Dole. Her job was getting harder and harder.

 She wondered what Kelly was doing right now and if she was okay. Landon was also on her mind and if he was still alive. For Kelly’s sake, Robbins prayed that he was still alive. She wanted to find them so badly, that she wasn’t sure what she would do if one of their bodies showed up in a ditch somewhere.

Robbins also hated the fact that she was hunting down her best friend once again. He claimed to love her and even wrote the letter that was burned into the back of her mind. It killed her everyday knowing what he did in the past and now what he is doing. He was family to her because her parents were both deceased and she was an only child, Robbins didn’t have any family left.

Without realizing it, Robbins felt tears running down her cheeks. She rarely cried but everything was too stressful and heartbreaking to not cry. She had no right to cry, she wasn’t the one who was kidnapped by Kyle, Kelly was. She needed to man up, and do everything she can to find Kelly. Then she remembered when Dole and her had first met, which brought more tears to her eyes involuntarily.

Robbins sat at her desk in Colorado devastated of what Kyle had done. She couldn’t believe she dated him at one point and that he was capable of kidnapping Kelly. Tears filled her eyes when she thought of Matt’s dead, lifeless body. She couldn’t believe he was actually dead and that his best friend had killed him.

She also couldn’t believe that she was in charge of the case now. With Matt, gone, she was in charge of finding Kyle and Kelly. It made her sick to her stomach but she knew this is what she had to do for Matt.

There was a knock on her door and she told the person to come in. A man who looked to be in his twenties, walked in the door. He had chocolate, brown hair and eyes that matched. He was attractive but knew he wasn’t her type. Yes, she was already judging him before he had even spoken.

“Hello, I’m Jake Dole. I’m here as a new investigator to help the investigation.” He said smiling, showing off pearl white teeth.

“Alright, nice to meet you. I’m Officer Robbins.” She said extending her hand towards him. He took her hand slowly and shook it, leaving her hand feeling warm at his touch.

“Do you have a first name?” He asked.

“Christi.” She replied softly.

She hated her first name for some reason and preferred if people called her Robbins because of that fact.

“I’m guessing you don’t like your name?” He asked, grinning.

“Am I that readable?” She asked laughing softly.

“Sort of, but that’s fine. It’s good to be able to read your partner.” He said.

She smiled and knew just by talking to him for several minutes after that, that he was going to be someone very close to her. Which she was right; Dole became her best friend, until the day he turned bad.

Robbins pushed away all the memories she had with Dole and focused on the paperwork, not wanting to be distracted by anything else. She was going to find Kyle and Dole.  If she did hear from Dole again, she was going to have to do something to get him to talk.

Here's another chapter complete!!! So day one out of three of exams are done. I got a 86% on my French exam, thank goodness but I don't know about history. I will tell you all I wont be able to update tomorrow because I have so much going on that I probably wont even get on the computer, let alone have time to write. But I will try and update the next day when I get home from school. If only I could just stay home all day and write.

 This chapter's dedication goes to @jazz1321. If you are wanting a dedication, I usually give them to new people who haven't gotten a dedication, yes I try to keep track. On the last chapter I saw some new people comment so do it again and I will give you a dedication in new chapter. Also if you leave long comments I will give dedications because you took the time to write a long comment. But I still love all comments so don't think I don't appreciate them, when I LOVE them!!!

 Anyways, hope you enjoyed this chapter and Dole is back everyone! What do you think will happen? I'll update  as soon as I can, just bare with me. :)