Cliff

It had been around fifteen minutes of driving in the car. I sat there quietly as I listened to James and Zack talk about the most random of things from cars to sports to who could hold their breath longer. During this time I couldn't help but stare at Landon. His blue eyes focused on the road ahead, his eyes slightly squinting against the sun. He looked attractive that's for sure. A sliver of guilt rose to the surface. I shouldn't be thinking about another guy when it's only been a few months since Ethan died. I should be mourning right now, not staring at attractive guys. I was a terrible person.

            A voice startled me out of my thoughts that came from Zack, "So Blondie, I'm really surprised on how you snapped at Ryan today. No one has snapped at him like that."

           "Blondie isn't my name. And I'm not sure what to say. I'm not one to open up my feelings in a creepy, old classroom." I replied, laughing at the end to make sure they knew I wasn't being a bitch.

            "Well, I still thought it was pretty damn funny because his face was priceless. I have to applaud you for that, no one startles Ryan." He said, grinning from ear to ear.

           "Thank you. I really try, you know? That's my goal in life is to startle Ryan." I said with a smirk.

           "Wow, so she's sarcastic too." Zack said, making Landon laugh.

           "What's so funny?" I asked Landon, raising my eyebrows and trying not to smile but I failed.

           "It's just that Zack's freaking middle name is sarcastic. It's great that he finally has someone besides me who will give him sarcastic remarks back and will put him in his place." He laughed.

          "Hey, I put him in his place too." James whined.

          "Whatever James, you wouldn't even hurt a fly. I've never heard a rude or sarcastic remark come out of your mouth." Zack said, laughing.

           "Shut up, Zack." James snapped but it didn't have a mean tone with it.

           "Wow, James has spoken everyone." Zack laughed.

           I turned back in my seat and looked back at James and said, "Well, I think it's great that you're nice and not a jerk like some people."

           I glanced at Zack when I said jerk and he laughed loudly.

           "I think we are going to get together very well, Blondie." He said.

           "Quit calling me Blondie. That's not my name." I complained, glaring at him for purposely calling me that.

           The rest of the car ride, we all talked about random things and for once in a long time, I felt normal, which I never expected to happen so soon. After a twenty-minute car ride, we approached a large forest. Where were we going? We kept driving upward the mountain until we pulled to an area of flat land. We were at the top of the small mountain.

          "We're here!" Zack cheered.

           "Where exactly are we?" I asked, looking around at the never-ending forest around me. We all got out of the car and Landon said, "Just follow us."

            I did as he said and followed them to the right through a set of trees. Once we walked through them, there was an open area, with trees cleared out from the area. Then I realized that it was a cliff. There were a bunch of tree stumps that were made as chairs and I knew that because all the guys took a seat. I had to admit that I was nervous being in the woods but I tried to ignore that feeling. I wasn't alone, nothing bad would happen to me.