His Story

Once I was dressed in my running clothes, I headed outside to the beach. The sun was just about to rise, a pinkish-orange color of the skin made me smile. Then I took off running. It was more of a challenge running in the sand but it made me stronger. I would get more of a workout in a shorter amount of time by running in the sand versus the concrete. I continued to push myself as long as possible until I could barely feel my legs. My heartbeat was pounding in my ears as I gasped for air. The sun was started to heat the air around me, making it harder to breathe. Sweat beaded on my forehead, causing my fallen hair from my ponytail to stick to the sides of my face.

            After finally reaching my house, I plopped down in the sand, instantly cooling my body. It always felt exhilarated after a run as if all the stress in the world was lifted off my shoulders. I laid in the sand for a few more minutes until my breathing returned back to normal and my heart was beating at its regular pace. I head back inside to take a shower and get ready for the day. My aunt and uncle were still sleeping which was fine by me. I wasn't in the mood for a conversation this early in the morning.

               Within an hour, all the sweat and sand was off of me and was replaced by a fruity smell of my body wash and shampoo. I was excited to hang out with Landon today because it has been awhile since I've been normal. Since I've got to hang out with people my age. I needed this simplicity to my life. Landon texted me saying that he would pick me around noon for lunch. As the time got closer and closer to noon I stared at my appearance in the mirror.

             My hair was getting super long, nearly down to my belly button. I'd need to get it cut soon. Lately, my appearance was the least of my worries. The red tank top with sparkles on it really popped against my pale skin. I'd eventually get tan after living in Florida, I just needed time. My skin loved to burn instead of tan though. My dark blue jean shorts complimented my tank top perfectly.

            My skin was almost flawless at this point which was a change. I was used to bruises and cuts all over my body. There were faint scars that were scattered on my body but nothing I worried about. My biggest insecurity was a large scar on my stomach and on my thigh from where I had been shot. The stomach wound was more recent which meant more noticeable. Thankfully, it was easy to hide, I just wouldn't be going swimming in a bikini any time soon. The scar on my leg wasn't covered by my shorts but I tried my best to ignore it.

            At noon on the dot, I got a text that Landon was outside. I straighten my clothes and made sure I looked presentable before heading downstairs. I shouted to my aunt that I was leaving and I'd be back later. I walked outside, the summer air hitting right in the face. It was nearly one hundred degrees out. I opened the passenger door and slid inside, giving Landon a smile as I closed the door.

           "So where are we heading too?" I asked.

           "Well, hi to you too." He laughed. "And I'm not telling you. It's a surprise." He grinned, showing off his pearly white teeth.

            "I just want to let you know now that I hate surprises." I said, trying to hide a smile on my face.

            "Sorry, I'm not telling." He replied as he cranked up the radio so I couldn't protest anymore.

              He glanced over at me with a huge grin on his face. Well, that was rude. He's trying to drown me out with music. I crossed my arms and gave him a pouty face.

            "I can be louder than the radio." I yelled over the music.

              Landon laughed but  stared forward pretending not to hear me as I asked again what we were doing. He tapped his fingers on the steering wheel to the beat of the music, completely lost in the song. Well, I guess I couldn't get him to budge on the surprise. I hated not knowing what was going on. Maybe it was apart of being kidnapped but then again before all of this happened, I liked being in control. My dad always said that knowledge was power and I definitely wanted to know everything I could.