Box of chocolate

"Life is like a box of chocolate;you never know what you're gonna get,"

  It was just a regular summer evening. It was finally beginning to cool down outside, so I decided to sit on the porch and enjoy it. I watched as the sun went down. I did this every evening. It was a relaxing way to end the day.
  As I sat alone, a mail man approached me. It was a strange time for this to happen, but I didn't think much of it. He handed the box to me without saying a word. He nodded, and then walked off. I was a little weirded out. I had never seen this man before and he acted so strange.
  I looked down at the box as I opened it. There were ten single pieces of chocolate inside. They actually looked really good. I took one out and popped it in my mouth before I headed inside for the night and went to bed.
  The night was so peaceful and calm. I felt so at peace as I slept all wrapped up. The only sound I could hear was the sound of the crickets outside and the occasional car passing by on the road. Everything was so calm.
  My eyes suddenly opened wide as the peace was disturbed by loud sirens outside. I quickly got out of bed and opened the window. I looked out to see several police cars parked outside of my neighbor's house. I gasped once I saw them rolling out a body and laying it in the ambulance.
  I quickly put on my slippers and ran outside to see what was going on. As I approached the ambulance, I was stopped by an officer. He put out his firm hand in front of me.
  "Ma'am, don't move any further," he stated.
  "What's going on here? That's my neighbor,"
  "We're investigating the scene right now, and it appears that the husband has shot his wife. Now, please, move out of the way,"
  My whole body froze as I saw them pull the body away. Nothing seemed real. I quickly headed inside and sat down at my kitchen table. I prepared myself hot tea to calm myself down. I slowly took each sip from the cup. I tried to let the warmth comfort me, but I was too in shock. There had actually been a murder right next to my house.
  I reached into the chocolate box and ate two more pieces as I continued to drink my tea. I didn't sleep at all the rest of the night.
  Even if I wanted to sleep, it wouldn't happen. The sirens outside were too loud to get any sleep at all.
  Once it was finally morning, I somehow built up the strength to go to work. I was simply working at a small clothing store at the time. The moment I walked in, one of my coworkers saw me and rushed up to me.
  "Hey, are you alright? You don't look to good," she said.
  "Thanks," I sighed. "There was a murder investigation next to my house last night so I didn't get much sleep,"
  "Oh my gosh really? Who was it,"
  "It was just my neighbor. We were just starting to get close. It's really unfortunate. Who would've thought something like that could happen so close to home," I explained.
  "You never know when that kind of stuff will happen. It really is scary," she sighed.
  "Yeah, but anyway, I got home shirts I need to put on display," I said as I walked past her. "I'll talk to you later,"
  I then did as I said and began putting clothing on display. I tried clearing my mind by focusing on my work. As I put clothing in front of the window, I watched the world outside. It was another good way to pass the time and keep my mind elsewhere.
  I didn't even have time to react before two strange men came running into the shop, holding guns tightly in their hands.
  "Everybody get down on the ground! NOW!" The one man yelled loudly. Everybody screamed as they dropped on the ground.
  The other man approached the cash register and broke it open. The other man came running over with a bag and began collecting the money. I watched hopelessly as they stole all the store's money.
  The lady at the register then stood up as she tried to take the gun from the man. He then hit her over the head, before shooting her twice in the head. The loud bangs echoed through my head. My body remained frozen in place. I had just watched my coworker get shot in the head. Her blood now covered the floor and the shoes of the men and they continued taking money.
  "You all better stay still or else we'll fucking kill all of you!" The man yelled as he pointed the gun all around the store as everyone coward in fear.
  "Please let us go!" A woman yelled as she shook.
Bam
The woman collapsed to the ground within a second. No body screamed. No body said a word. We all stared in silence.
  "Anybody else want to be a hero?" The man yelled.
  We remained still. We lost then take the money. All the money. The men then ran out of the store and jumped into their car. Even after they were gone we all still remained still and silent. We were all in shock. Two people were just killed right before my eyes.
  Once the police had arrived, I couldn't say a word. I was too terrified to move. One of the officers had told me to go home and forget about what happened. They had captured the men and I apparently had nothing to worry about.
  I was all shaken up. I still couldn't sleep and I couldn't eat. I managed to eat one piece of chocolate. It was the only thing I had the strength to eat. I remained in my chair without moving. I had no reason to.
  Clearly, I didn't go to work the next day. I remained alone in my house. I wasn't even fazed to hear that there had been a car accident in front of my house that killed one and injured another. I was basically a zombie.
  My eyes then widened once I realized what was happening with each chocolate I ate..