Pacifier

My child was obsessed with his pacifier even at the age of five. I tried everything to get my son to outgrow it, but of course that never worked. It was his sense of his security, it made him feel safe. But obviously this wasn't healthy. I didn't want my kid being attached to something that wasn't going to help him. There are healthier ways for children to cope, especially at his age.
  At first I tried to slowly take it away from him. I'd let him have it got done periods of time, but I'd take it during certain times. At first he'd scream and scream which would make me feel guilty, but I continued anyway. Eventually he began to accept it. That was of course until I began to take it for longer periods of time. He'd become so enraged that he'd bite me to the point that it would draw blood. The strange thing was, he didn't just bite. No, he would bite down on my skin, drawing blood as I said, then he'd begin to suck on the sound almost like his pacifier. It was a terrifying imagine seeing my five year old son with my blood dripping from his mouth. I'd scold him and send him to his room.
  As time went on, the biting became worse. I wanted to be a strong mother, so I continued to take the pacifier even though I knew that would mostly likely mean that I'd be bitten. I'd always send him to his room and tell him that he was hurting me and that was bad. At first he seemed like he felt bad, but as time went on it was almost like he wanted to bite me. He'd immediately bolt towards me and bite for usually my arm, but it seemed like he was trying to reach further towards maybe my chest or neck. Sometimes it would hurt so bad I wanted to kick him, but I loved my child and would never do that so I resorted to gently pushing him away even though his teeth was dug into my skin and he was "sucking" my blood. I didn't know how to explain it, but I just told myself it was just him trying to cope with not having his pacifier.
Things became worse when one night while I was sleeping, he had snuck into my room and had bitten into my neck. It hurt so much more then the bites on my arms. He bite much harder and pulled on my skin with his teeth while sucking and slobbering all over me. This time I screamed and shoved him away onto the ground. He slammed against the ground and stared at me surprised. Blood still dripped from his mouth. He looked surprised and confused for a moment, then his face turned to anger. I braced myself for him to attack again, but instead he began to sob. I instantly felt guilt even though my own blood was all over his mouth and chin.
Since that night I've decided to give in and just let him have his pacifier. So far he hasn't attempted to bite me. It's only been a day so I'm hoping for the best.