Chapter 9

"I can't believe you," Hunter said with disappointment dripping from his words. He was currently driving me since he didn't want me roaming the streets with 10,000 dollars and the outfit I was wearing. I didn't really mind it, but it is very different from what I would usually wear.

"Hunter you wouldn't understand because you had everything given to you. I need to work for everything I have."

"You're right I don't understand."

"I don't even have a job anymore. So right now all I have is 10,000, a crumbling apartment, and a rich man who won't leave me alone." I mumbled the last part as I turned to face the window.

"I can give you a job." He muttered under his breath. I didn't think I heard him right.

"Excuse me?" I asked.

"I said I can give you a job." He said more loudly and clearly.

"Mr. King I would never ask you to give me a job." I said looked over at him.

"Well I need a PA and it just so happens that you need a job." He said and glanced over at me for a second before returning his attention to the road.

"Can I think about it?" I asked fiddling with my fingers. I can't believe I am actually considering it, but when times are rough you got to do what you got to do.

"Think as long as you want Amore." I nodded and looked back out the window. The vibe around us changed drastically and I realized we had entered the bad part of town.

"They are building a police station across from my apartment." I said breaking the silence.

"That's good. Maybe it won't be the worst part of town anymore." I snorted.

"You're funny Mr. King. It will always be the worst part of town. Nothing can change that. No matter how many police officers and police stations there are it won't stop the drinking, smoking, drugs, and crimes."

"It can reduce it though."

"You really crack me up Hunter." He stopped the car outside my apartment building. "Thank you for the ride home. I'll think about your offer." I opened the car door and got out.

"Can I walk you inside?" He asked. I shook my head.

"I'll be fine." I closed the door and walked up to the main door. I took out my keys and opened the door. I didn't see Hunter's car drive off until I was closing the door. I made my way up to my apartment.

...

"Take the damn offer."

"But that would mean being around him all the time Meadow."

"So any girl would love to be around him all the time."

"Well I just don't think-"

"Take the damn job!" She yelled and then hung up. We hang up on each other a lot. I also think she's been a little stressed lately with her studies.

I glanced across the room and saw the duffle bag still sitting in the same spot I left it last night. I kind of feel guilty about what I did. Most of the time after someone gets baited they die. I don't know what Loren could have done to have a gang after her but who knows.

After taking a quick shower, I dressed as nicely as I could for this interview. A nice shirt and jeans will have to do whether Mr. King approves or not. I walked down the cracked sidewalk taking glances at the workers every now and then until they were no longer in sight. It was surprisingly very quiet today.