16: Try Again

Myles Thomas

I could've sworn that I took a 10-hour shower, after waking up next to Zahra this morning; wasn't enough. I still felt so dirty.

I was filled with nothing but regret and disappointment in myself. I didn't know what happened, or what took over me, but last night I wasn't myself and I made some decisions that I shouldn't have. I didn't care about the fact that I was in a little fake relationship, what I cared about was Monet finding out that I just did some sinful things... in her bed... with her best friend.

All I woke up thinking about was her, and how crushed she would be. Monet didn't deserve that; Karla was one thing but Zahra, was foul beyond measure.

I sat in front of the grand piano, with my laptop opened. The rest of the house was asleep and it was just me as usual. I had a notebook in front of me; my mind flowing with lyrics. I knew this song would be one that girls would as captions for months, but then in the back of my head; knowing that I really messed up this badly, was eating me alive.

I sang the lines to myself, meanwhile playing. Flashbacks of last night playing in my head; I tried to shake the thought but I couldn't.

What have I down?

I scribbled the title cure at the top then set the pen down and reached for my phone. I opened the screen and pulled up her name.

Me:

Let me know when you get back in so we could go out like we planned.

I'm in need of some inspiration for this new song, and I know I'll be able to find it in your eyes.

I love you.

I locked my screen and just then Zahra came walking down the stairs, with the blankets from Monet's bed in her arms; we shared a glance before she broke it and went to where the washer and dryer was. I sighed, and sipped my coffee then hearing another set of footsteps; Elijah came down as well.

"I don't understand how you can party, get home made late, then still be the first one up." he dapped me up then leaned on the piano. "Got some new heat?"

"I'm working on it."

"What's this song for?"

"I'm thinking this may be the one I want you to perform on Friday... it speaks to me."

"A whole new song?"

"Yeah, this is the hit we needed."

"Well, if you think that's the one then let's roll with it." he took up the notebook, "drop the beat?"

I nodded, then hit play on the recording of the beat I had made this morning; the bass dropped and I played along with it. Elijah bopped his head then started rapping every lyric as if he had already heard it before; I closed my eyes and just allowed the words to speak to me.

"When the pleasures gone, the pain returned.

My regrets and losing you... that's the pain I've earned.

To say I'm sorry just won't be enough, that's what I've learned.

I see you with a new nigga, and I know it aint my concern but...

I can't get you out my mind,

I knew... I should've invested all my time

Should've treated you, like a queen should be treated.