52: Big Win

Myles Thomas

"Monet, talk to me." I lifted her up from the bathroom floor and walked her over to the couch to lay down. "Monet." I checked her pulse and from her movements I could tell that she was still very conscious. "Can I get some help in here?!" I yelled out again, I began to head for the door to go and get someone but she grabbed my hand instead. I patted my pockets for my phone but realized I had left it with my bag upstairs.

"Don't leave me." She let out in a low tone, she held onto my hand and began to slowly open her eyes. crouching down beside her and pressing my head against her forehead.

"I gotta get you help."

"I'm okay Myles." She slurred, "I just want to run."

"Monet, you can't worry about that right now." Just in time, the door opened and Kingsley walked in holding a pack of ice. The moment he noticed what was going on he dropped the ice and ran over to our side. "Call 911."

"Don't!" Monet exclaimed. "I am fine. I promise you that I am fine," she let out a slow, staggered exhale then began to prop herself up.

"You literally just past our and you're bleeding while pregnant, that's not fine."

"It's just the shock hit me and it's probably just spotting. I'm good."

"Spotting or not, you need to get checked out." I placed my head on her forehead, "You look pale and you're warm... on top of that you're shivering."

"It's just cold in here." She coughed, then sat up completely, placing both of her feet on the ground. "I'm good."

"Monet, I really think we should call your doctor." Kingsley said, holding his phone up.

"Doctor? I said, call 911. This is an emergency."

"Don't," she shook her head then placed both of her hands on the side of her face, breathing in and out.

"You're not okay Monet."

"I can wait until the last race if anything." She nodded then finally looked up at me, "I know I can."

"I know you can, but you won't." he extended my hand to Kingsley, "bro, pass me the phone." He handed it to me and I began to dial the numbers. Monet tried her best to grab it but I stood to my feet and walked away. "Hello, can I please get an ambulance at-"

"For the love of God Myles. Hang the God damn phone up!" I turned around to see her now, standing upright. "Please do not ruin this for me, I have worked so hard." She took a step, "for this moment right here and I plan to complete it by any means necessary. I have lived my life for so long, trying to please everyone, standing on the sidelines and watching everyone else be great, I've been through hell and back and I think I deserve this moment right here, I deserve to be a winner and I won't stop until I am just that. So, if you loved me the way you say you do, you'd hang up that phone right now and just let me run." Tears streamed down her face and she took another weak step towards me, followed by another, she outstretched her hand and tried to take the phone from me but I backed up.

I turned my back and continued giving the operator the location, when I was done I hung up and tossed the phone back to Kingsley. "Of course, like everyone else... you don't care about my dreams. It's always fuck Monet."

"Nah, unlike everyone else... I care too much for you."

"Oh please," she shook her head and walked back over to the couch.

"Kingsley, go get her dad and Zahra for me please."

"I got it." He gave me a nod then basically sprinted out.