42: Bad News

Monet DaSilva

I got myself dressed in a pair of tights and a windbreaker, then pulled my hair back into a ponytail before popping in my earpods and turning on my playlist. Once I was set, I slipped my feet into a pair of my Nikes, wiggling my toes to make sure they were comfy. My feet were beginning to swell a bit which made most of my shoes uncomfortable for me. I hated not being able to run in my lucky pairs of sneakers and was hoping that by the time the Olympics came around, the swelling would go down.

I grabbed my keys and took a look at myself in my mirror, my eyes were still very puffy and my skin was dry from the lack of care I had been giving it. What could I say? The fact that I even got up and had an actual shower today was a big deal for me. It had been a couple days since his arrest and to be quite frank, I was having such a hard time trying to process everything. For the most part, I would stay off of social media and mainly stick to myself or head downstairs to run a bit on the treadmill. With the Olympics coming up in the next week and a half, I tried to keep my mind focused in order to not think about Myles being stuck somewhere where he didn't belong.

Things around my house felt off, the guards were more so focussed on my father than they were on me. I had to admit that I didn't mind getting a break from them but with everything going on, it did raise a couple red flags. However, I knew it was probably just my dad's way of giving me space since he knew what I was going through and space was the only thing I needed at the moment. Unfortunately, the thing about space is that the more of it you get, is the more you are able to think about things that you wish you didn't have to think about. My one thing, was Myles being behind bars and me not being able to do a single thing about it. I wanted more than anything to pay his bail but he wouldn't allow me, and actually refused my requests; claiming that it was deeper than I thought and he needed to do what he needed to do until everything came together. I didn't understand his street lingo but as far as I was concerned, he was being selfish not only to his worried family but to me as well. However, I knew the stress wasn't good for the baby so I decided that today, an after run would take my mind off of it until it was time to face the music again.

I opened up my bedroom door and headed down the stairs where my father sat around the table with another man that I wasn't too familiar with. At the sight of me, my father shut the laptop he was working on. My brow raised for a moment but I wasn't about to waste time and question it. I did a quick wave then made my way to the door, grabbing my keys from off the hook. "Baby girl!" I heard my father call out causing me to roll my eyes and sigh before I turned around to face him. "Where you headed?" he asked.

"Out for a run with Kingsley, I'm going to meet him at the park."

"Are you sure? You look tired, maybe you should stay in and get some rest. You've been training enough don't you think?"

"After being out for four weeks... I'm behind on training and need to get in as much as I can."

"I understand but you are also pregnant, remember? You can't be overdoing it."

"I know and I'm not. I'm being responsible. Before all things; I am a mother and I know when I should take it easy. As for now, I need to run."

"Baby, please. Eat breakfast first at least."

"I don't eat before I run, I'll pick up something after okay?"

"Oh, let me get one of the guards to go with you." He said, after letting out a long sigh.

"Where's Israel, he normally does."

"Israel is... no longer available." I watched my father say and his demeanor seemed to change at the mention of his name. "But I'm sure than any one of these other ones are capable."