46: Void

Myles Thomas

"I'll call you later, stink." Leisa blew me a kiss then turned around and skipped all the way to the entrance of their new condominium. I watched as the doorman opened the door for her, then made sure that she was completely out of sight before I drove off.

Luckily, everything was good. The doctors said that with the added stress it was best for her to just get some rest and make sure to take her medication on time. They also issued her a couple days off of school which is what gave her that extra pep in her step, I know she was hiding from facing that crowd and although she had good reasons to be afraid, my mother didn't play when it came to exams. So, an actual note was the only thing I think, that could've helped her case. I guess forcing her wasn't that bad after all.

Monet had taken an uber home, claimed that she had some work to get done but I know it's because she didn't want to ride back with me after such a heated conversation. I didn't blame her because the feeling was mutual, the tension was thick and right about now, I didn't need the stress. I was going through enough already. I didn't need an additional Monet drama right now, especially drama that shouldn't even be.

The whole back and forth was becoming very tiresome and with me being on this whole new 'letting go' phase of my life, I had to figure out what things were worth the stress and what things weren't. Monet definitely was worth everything and more but just as I said before, as much as I wanted her it was clear that she didn't want me and I wasn't about to chase someone that didn't want to be caught by me.

Wish her all the best though, but clearly somethings just aint meant to be.

I drove down the familiar streets, making my way around a couple of old back streets that led to the best place that I deemed fit to clear my head. It was a week day but the club was always open.

I came to the stop lights and just as I was about to make a turn, somewhere else caught my attention. Once again, it was a week day, so I wasn't even sure why their lights were on. I saw a few cars in the parking lot and a security that guarded the entrance. This place caught my attention for the first time in years. I couldn't believe I was doing this but, I swung right into the drive way. I have driven past this place so many times before but this was the first time that I felt led to actually make an appearance.

I threw my car into a random parking spot and hopped out, I emptied my pocket of the ounce of weed that I had on me, tossing it into the glove compartment. I then grabbed my wallet and locked up behind me.

"Go on in." the security guard at the front said the moment he laid eyes on me.

"Thanks bro." I placed my things into my pocket and walked through the door that he had held open for me. The light music engulfed me as I made my way through the entrance that led into the dimmed church, which was actually packed; despite what the parking lot had looked like.

Above the stage was a sign that revealed that it was a fundraising, open mic night. I wasn't too sure of how deep in the program they were but I knew black people well enough to know that if it was the beginning it wouldn't be this packed and if it was the end, most people would've been made their way to the refreshments by now. My guess was that they were in the middle.

I slipped through some of the guests that stood around video taping and listening to the guy on stage who performed a spoken word piece. A couple of them greeted me with smiling faces and firm handshakes.

I grabbed the first open seat I spotted in the back row. "Excuse me," I said to the lady at the end who adjusted her legs for me to get through. I plopped down into the seat next to her, letting out a sigh as I leaned back and got accustomed to being in the seats that I once feared I would burn in. So far, so good.