41: Help You, Not Hurt You

Dejounte Murray

"DJ, you need to eat." My mother said, placing a tray in front of me. I stared down at it then back at the white wall before me. "Please," she pleaded and I shot her a dirty look. "You're withering away into nothing."

"I am nothing." I snapped, "I have nothing left to offer this world so if I gotta wither away, let me wither in peace." I threw the tray onto the floor and continued staring at the wall before me. I hated looking anywhere else; I'd only look through the window when it rained, apart from that I hated looking out there. I didn't want to watch the tv or get on social media because I was still the topic of discussion, articles praying I'd make a comeback that they knew was near impossible. I was lucky enough to have set up a private medical room in my New York home because I was going crazy in that hospital, the preppy nurses and arrogant doctors that tried to get my spirits up. I just hated all of it.

I swear to God, I only wanted to recover just to get revenge on the nigga that did this to me. I didn't even give in a statement because I had other plans. Not only was I going to take back what was his, I was going to make him regret ever placing his hands on me. If I lost my career at the end of this, he was sure to lose his life. Yes, I may be big now, but best believe; I came from a place just as, if not tougher than this city and if I had to bring back my roots, I'd be ready and willing.

As my mother knelt by my bed to clean up the mess, I watched the door open and Renee came through, her face buried in her phone as she texted away. That's pretty much all she did nowadays, text, take snaps to show that she was here, then take my card and dip to the mall or something. I didn't care, I didn't even want her around me, to be quite honest.

Renee looked up and popped her gum. "How you feeling babe?" she asked and as usual, I didn't bother to answer. "Hi Mrs. Murray." She waved. "What are you doing down there?"

"Cleaning up this mess."

"He didn't want to eat, again?"

"Unfortunately, not."

"Is he talking at least?"

"A few words just now but apart from that, nope." My mom stood up and placed the food into the garbage then sighed. Renee leaned over and placed a kiss upon my cheek. "I missed you," she said, rubbing that same cheek with the back of her thumb. "I got you a few things at the mall today, like some new sweat suits and shoes that I knew you'd love." She said exposing the shopping bags that I hadn't noticed her come in with. As Renee placed them on top of the bed, I couldn't help but notice that both of her rings that I had paid an arm and a leg for, were missing from he ring finger. Not to mention the fact that she was wearing a whole different outfit than she had left the house in, this one wasn't one of the fancy boutique ones I was used to; she was rocking a pair of tights and a t-shirt too big to be her, her messy hair fell around her face, which she normally hated.

My brows furrowed as I examined her some more, before I leaned forward catching her off guard. My mother was too busy doing some cleaning to notice, but I moved her hair over to the side and placed my hand against her cheek, Renee smiled up at me but her eyes were filled with fear. As I ran my hand down to her neck, then to the neck of the shirt she pulled away before I could see what she obviously, was hiding. "Oh, and I also got you this massager!" her voice shook as she dug through one of the bags.

Eventually the door opened up once again, this time Nadia came busting through it with her phone against her ear, she nodded as whoever it was on the other end; spoke to her in a very loud tone.

"Alright, sounds good to me. Thank you once again for all your help." She said as she hung up the phone and threw it onto the night table next to me. Nadia placed her hands against her waist and sighed. "How's he?" she asked my mom.