47: Comes Around

Renee Bahar

I traced shapes against Dejounte's skin as he laid fast asleep after our eventful night. It couldn't have been more perfect in my eyes, to be able to not only fix us but be able to doo good at the end of it all. I can admit, I never thought I'd see myself ever be that person, the good one. It wasn't what I was used to, I was selfish because there were points in life where I felt like all I had was myself. That was until last night, looking into his eyes I knew that he had my back, that he meant every word that he said and suddenly, I began to fall in love with him all over again.

I wasn't perfect, I made some obviously mistakes along the way, I was an evil individual but seeing how his generosity, his kindness, his will to do the better thing despite what he was going through was inspiration to be a better person. From this day forward, I made a personal vow to myself to rid myself o the things of my past and to step into a more positive light with him and our baby by my side.

I climbed out of bed and opened up the window curtains, allowing the sun to come in. After stretching, I grabbed my phone and my eyes widened at the amount of missed calls I had gotten from Nadia. Never in my life had I gotten that many calls in general. I was in a haven that I had totally forgotten the side effect that came with our heroic act.

I groaned and headed for the washroom to complete my morning hygiene before I even bothered with this.

Once I was done, I put on a pair of house shorts and one of my comfortable crew necks then returned to the room. I grabbed my phone from off the dresser and scrolled through Nadia's abundant text messages, chuckling at a few of the threats as well as shaking my head at the amount of words she had thrown. "What does that even mean?" I asked aloud.

"What does what mean?" I clutched my chest, frightened at the sound of DJ's voice, spinning on my heels to see him smiling in the bed. "My bad." He chuckled.

"Make an announcement next time! You can't just be scaring me like that." I walked over to him and leaned over, kissing him on his forehead. "How you feeling?"

"A lot better actually," he reached over for the remote that worked his bed, using it to make himself sit up. "How about you?"

"Really, really good actually... I mean, what we did yesterday was so new to me but it made me feel so accomplished."

"Yup, that's what being nice does to you. I know you aren't used to it which is why I'm here to help you."

"Don't even," I rolled my eyes. "I am nice too."

"When you want something."

"DJ."

"Tell me one time that you've been nice to someone other than me."

"Many times, like at the nail salon the other day, I left an extra generous tip for my nail lady."

"Yeah sure... I've been to the nail salon with you before and that tip probably came after you changing your mind five times about the color."

"Nooo." I lied, smirking as I walked over to the other side of the bed to put my phone on the charger.

"Okay, let's pretend I aint speaking fact." DJ yawned, then cracked his neck. "What are you about to get into today?"

"Nothing, chill in here with you I guess."

"Well, I was thinking that we go out and get something to eat."

"Do something?" I looked down at his legs then back up at him. "I can just order us postmates."

"No, I don't want to order anything. I'm feeling a whole lot better today and I'm dying to get some fresh air."