23: Breaking News

Please excuse any errors I wrote this on my walk to work.
Hope you enjoy
Xo.

Monet DaSilva

Finally, home sweet home.

I sat my shopping bags onto the bed and plopped down, catching my breath. I hated going to the mall because I always ended up coming back with more than I needed, especially when I got into Target. Every single thing, looked like something I needed and now that I thought about it, I didn't even know where to put some of the stuff in this bag.

I sighed and pulled out a few things; including some new workout clothes and a brand-new charger I had purchased from Apple. I also pulled out a shirt I had gotten for Dejounte that says; I can't keep calm, I'm going to be a father. I thought it was cute and would be a creative way of telling him the big news.

Speaking of him; I placed my phone on the charger then hopped into the shower. Practice was in ten minutes and I had no time for coach to be on my ass about being late again; so, I made this a quick one.

Once I was done, I got dressed in the new maroon matching set with a shirt baggy enough not to expose me. I pulled my hair up into a very tight bun then slipped my feet into a pair of slides then just carried my track shoes in my arms. I checked the time and realized I had a whole 2 minutes to get to practice. So, I dashed out the door, locked up then literally raced my shadow to the track.

Of course, I was late.

As I hit the field, I bumped into Kingsley and some guys from the team. Kingsley grabbed a hold of me, allowing the rest of the group to walk ahead. "I DM'd you. You good?"

"Yeah, just late for practice...and I left my phone again!" I groaned,

"No wonder, I was just checking in on you anyway."

"Why? Why is it that all of a sudden you have to urge to keep checking in and asking if I'm okay."

"It's just you're a female and I don't expect you to take the news so well."

"... I honestly don't know what you're talking about... I would love to hear your explanation but I really gotta get to practice." I walked off backwards, "have a good day Kingsley."

"You too Monet."

Everyone was doing their laps around the field, my coach sat on the bench, scrolling through her phone which was something she didn't normally do. As I approached her I cleared my throat, and she looked up, automatically locking her phone so I couldn't see the contents. "I'm sorry that I'm late."

"Oh... no, it's okay." She said, sitting up. Coach patted the empty spot next to her and I hesitantly took a seat. "How are you?"

"I'm... good.... I just lost track of time. That's all. I can join the rest of the girls and do my laps."

"Oh, no. Don't worry about laps today sweetie." Her voice was so soft that it scared me. Coach was never nice, especially to me. "Just worry about us running the heaps, if you're up to it."

"Of course, I'm up to it." I glanced over at some of the girls gawking over at me as they did their laps, but their stares were concerned ones, just like the one coach had on her face. "What's going on?"

"I'm just looking out for you, with all you've been through. I can only imagine how hard this must be. Right now, you need to just take it easy."

"Okay, now this is getting weird. What the hell are you talking about? What must be hard?"