Too Good for this World

"Trust me. He doesn't want to talk to you." Courtney sighed against the phone while sitting down on her couch that was practically falling apart.

"Courtney. Please. Put Kurt on the phone. I'm begging you." Kate snapped.

"Kate. Your a nice girl. I mean it. It's just you don't know Kurt like I do. He'll rip you to shreds in a matter of seconds. If anything I'm helping you out. Let him cool off for a couple of days. Then talk to him."

"Courtney, no. I told you to put Kurt on the phone. So you better put Kurt on the fucking phone. Now."

"Alright. I would. But he's not here. He went out. Sorry, Katie-pie. Talk to you later!" Hearing the phone call end, Kate let out a frustrated sigh before continuing "Fuck! What a bitch. She could've just told me he wasn't there-"

"Hey. Relax. Your a little scary when your mad." John mumbled while massaging her shoulders before asking, "Where do you think he went?"

"I...I don't know. Should we go look for him? What if he gets into something bad. I don't want anything to happen to him."

"That's his decision, Kate. You can't control him. It's his problem."

"I guess." She mumbled while running her fingers through her hair, "I feel bad. He really wanted us to go. I think he's really mad at me."

"Give him some time. He'll come around. All you have to do is apologize. Leave him a voicemail."

"I can't. Courtney monitors his phone like a hawk. She'll delete the voicemail."

"Ah, shit. Your right. Should we go looking for him?"

"I don't know. Should we? I mean if he's getting into trouble."

"I mean...we don't know for sure. He could be only drunk."

"True. But what if it's worse?"

"I don't know."

"I think I'm gonna go look for him."

"I'll go with you."

"No. It's fine. I'll go by myself. I can handle him."

"Kate. Are you sure? It's pretty late. I don't want anything to happen to you. Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I'm fine. Get some sleep. Okay? I'll be back in like an hour."

"Alright. Be safe. Please." John mumbled before making his way to the bedroom.

The car ride was quiet. Kate was annoyed, but worried about Kurt at the same time. She was afraid he was doing something bad. Drugs. The thought of him doing drugs made her shiver. She didn't know where to start. Where to look. She was lost. If you were Kurt where would you go? She thought while putting her turn signal on. Slowly creeping down the dark street she frowned trying to find something in the darkness. Anything. Averting her eyes from the road she didn't notice the stranger in the dark crossing the street. Still slowly creeping she heard a yell and gasped while slamming on the breaks. The stranger stood there staring at her pissed off. Suddenly the stranger began to look familiar. Quickly getting out of the car, Kate gasped "Kurt." He looked so disheveled. His eyes were bloodshot red from crying. He stood there staring at her, not sure what to say.

"You have every right to be mad at me-" she began to say as he interrupted her,

"Fuck you."

"I deserved that. Can you just hear me out?"

"I don't know."

"Please? Let's go for a ride. I'll drive around. It's too dark."

"Fine." He snapped while making his way to the passengers seat of the car. Kate sighed while driving into an abandoned parking lot. Quickly parking she turned the heat up and stared ahead in silence. The silence must've lasted for minutes.

"It's fine. I know you liked River and payed your respects already. We all have shit going on. I'm sure you had a good reason not to come." Kurt mumbled while playing with the holes in his jeans.

"My Dad is getting his home taken away from him. My mom owned the house. And when she passed away the insurance kept implying they would take the house away but I didn't listen. I should've listened. I feel like it's my fault."

"I'm sorry. That's hard. Does he have to pay a specific amount of money to keep the house?"

"I don't know. I thought the house was almost payed off, but I guess I'm wrong. There's probably a lot of damages that need to be repaired. My mom was an alcoholic, so there's a couple dents in the wall from her smashing bottles or doing something stupid."

"Alcohol. A two edged sword. It's good. But if you drink to much of it, you'll die."

"Yep. Or just have kidney problems."

"How did your interview go? You said you were going for an interview right? To become a nurse?"

"Kinda. It's more of a test. I don't know how I did, though. I felt okay."

"I'm sure you did fine. Is it late?"

"It's one in the morning."

"I'm sorry. I probably worried you. And I forced you to come out this late."

"You didn't force me to do anything. I was worried about you so I came."

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

"Don't thank me. It's what friends do."

"Did you talk to Courtney."

"Yeah."

"Was she mad?"

"Not at you. She was mad at me."

"Really? Why?"

"Because I kept calling. I wanted to know where you were."

"Damn. She probably broke my phone."

"Probably? She did. At least I think she did. There was a lot of noise in the background during my call with her."

"Fuck. I just got my phone."

"Why do you put up with her? I'm sorry... that was rude of me."

"No it's fine. I love her. No matter how bat shit crazy she is. When she's not crazy, she's loving me. So that's what I love about her."

"I understand."

"Why do you love John? I don't want that to come off offensive. You get what I'm trying to say?"

"Like why I went back to him?"

"Yeah. You guys have been through a lot. In a short amount of time."

"Everyone keeps saying that."

"Well it's true."

"I know, I know. I don't know. I love him. You know? It's like no matter what he does I still love him. When's he broke I want to fix him. I'm willing to do anything to make him feel better."

"Yeah. I don't get it. But I understand it. If Courtney were to make a stupid decision, I wouldn't help her. That's her problem. But your different. Your too nice."

"No. The worlds just too cruel sometimes."

"Can I do something? And I don't mean it like the way it's going to come off. I only mean it as a friend." Kurt said while caressing her face. Kate slowly nodded, as he leaned in and placed a soft kiss against her lips. She was confused. Feeling his warm, chapped lips pull away he continued, "Kate Viverette. You are too good for this world."