12.5

After what my brothers told me I stay silent and look out the window as we continue driving home. I look away from the window and see Veronica's and Liam's hands entwined.

She has a smile on her face and her eyes are shining as she looks at him. "I'm not sure that I want to go back home."

Liam whispers. "You don't have to go home. You could always move in with me."

She looks in my direction and sees me looking at her. She her hand out of his and says. "I'll have to think about it."

The car comes to a stop on front of the house. I grab the door handle and open it.

The front door is still open and I walk into the house.

Mom and Dad are sitting on the couch snuggling.

Just great. Everyone seems to be partnering up and I'm still alone.

"Goodnight, Mom, Dad." I say, before heading up to my bedroom. I pull the dress I'm wearing over my head and throw it in the corner of the room. Putting on a pair of boxers and tank top I crawl into bed.

My bedroom door opens and Veronica walks into the room. She looks at me. "Are you mad at me?"

I shake my head. "Why would you think that?"

"It was the way you were looking at my hand as it was entwined with Liam's."

I pat my bed. "Come sit with for a minute." She walks over to my bed and sits on it. "I wasn't expecting you to fall for my brother. He's a nice guy and every girl wants him. I was hoping that my best friend would be immune to him, but it looks like your not. Please, don't just jump into his bed from the way he charmed you tonight."

She laughs. "I won't. I told him that I'm sleeping with you tonight and the night after that, etc. He didn't look too happy about that, but it's just something he has to deal with." She climbs off the bed and moves over to her suitcase. She pulls her pajamas out and walks to the ensuite I have in my bedroom.

Pulling the covers over my head I close my eyes and fall asleep.

The next morning I wake with a foul taste in my mouth and I run into the bathroom and pour myself a cup of water

The next morning I wake with a foul taste in my mouth and I run into the bathroom and pour myself a cup of water. I drink the water before looking in the mirror.

My hair is sticking up all over the place and my face has lines across it from the way I was sleeping.

I hear voices coming from downstairs and I recognize Cole's instantly.

Why isn't he giving me time to spend with my family? I wish he would leave me alone for a couple of days.

Walking downstairs I see him at the kitchen table with my father. "What happened to your hand?" Dad asked.

He looks at his fist and says. "Some guy was trying to pull a girl out of the club and I beat him."

"Was this a girl you like?"

Cole's eyes land on mine as he says the next words. "Yes, but she won't give me the time of day because I hurt her badly."

Mom moves over to the table and places her hand on his. "She'll come around son." She looks at me as she says. "Hate is another emotion, but love wins out in the end and the poor girl is going to lose when it comes to you. She just needs to see for herself."

"Thanks, Mrs. Harris. You always know the right things to say. Even though we all know I don't really deserve your kindness after what I did to Julia. I should have never been threatened her to stay away. After getting to know all of you it's hard to believe that I did that to your family. Keeping her away from all of you."

I walk into the kitchen at that moment. "Good morning."

Mom kisses my cheek. "Morning sweetheart. How did you sleep?"

"Good," Looking at Cole I say. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Sure," he stands up and follows me outside. "Listen, Julia. I didn't plan on coming over. You're mother showed up on my doorstep this morning inviting me over for breakfast. I couldn't turn her away. I got your message loud and clear that you don't want to talk to me."

I wrap my arms around him. "Thank you for saving me last night." I quickly step away from him, making him know that I'm not interested in being too close to him. "I'm sorry about your parents."

He looks at the window above where we're standing and says. "They told you my parents died?"

"Yes,"

"I wanted to be the one to tell you, Julia." He runs his hands through his hair. "Every year I prayed that you would come home and ignore what I said, but as time went by and you didn't return I realized that I made a mistake with the way I treated you. I had a crush on you growing up and I didn't know how to handle my feelings that I decided to be a jerk to you."

"Cole, I can't talk to you about this right now. Maybe, later down the track I will be ready, but right now isn't the time. We better go back inside just in case my family think I've taken you out back and killed." I lead the way back into the house and take my seat the table.

Mom sets the table with bacon, eggs, toast, pancakes, waffles, tea, coffee and orange juice. She looks at us as we enter the room. "Help yourselves."

Dad looks around the table at my siblings and I. He says. "How was last night?"

We tell him about it. Leaving out the part where I was being pulled out of the club.

"We heard that Cole beat a guy because he was pulling a girl out of the club. Who was he protecting?"

My brother's and best friend says. "Julia,"

Mom turns towards me and says. "I thought it would have been you he was protecting. He just didn't want us to know."

Cole keeps his eyes cast down as Mom and Dad pries as much information from my siblings as they can about last night.

Veronica looks at me. "So, what's our plans for today?"

"I was thinking about driving around town and looking at the schools that I can teach at. I don't want my degree to go to the waste."

Mom pulls a piece of paper out of a notebook that was sitting on the table. "I called a friend last night that works at a school and she wants to meet with you on Monday."

"Thank you, Mom." I stand up and round the table. I hug her. "I love you."

"I love you too, sweetheart. I hope you get this job. I don't want you to leave town again."

I won't. I'm here for good.

I kiss her cheek. "I'm not going anywhere. I promise you that."

And I meant every word.