33.

After talking to Cole for a little while in my room he asks. "Do you want to watch a movie?"

"Sure," I walk over to the door. "That was the whole point of tonight. We were all supposed to have dinner and watch a movie, but I ruined by want to know what was going on with my family."

Cole steps behind me. "You didn't ruin anything, Julia. You deserve to know the truth. Even if it was supposed to hurt you."

I sigh. "Uncle Kevin brought a place close to mine in New York. He visited me all the time and didn't say anything about hurting my family to get the fortune he had. I thought his business picked up."

Cole frowns. "What business? If he had one I'm sure your family would have known."

I run my hand through my hair. "He told me it was an export company. What was the name of it?" Tugging at my hair I say. "It was midnight exports."

"I've never heard of it, but I'll have Jesse Hanson look into it for us."

A smile spreads across my face. "Jesse Hanson? The one we went to high school with?"

"The one and only. He's a private detective. I've used him on a number of cases and he always finds his man."

"Was he the one that found Uncle Kevin?"

"Yes, do you want to know where we found him?"

"Sure,"

Cole grabs my hand and we walk down the stairs to the living room. "He followed you to Nova Island. It looks like he didn't want you out of his sight."

Why would Uncle Kevin do that?

Looking at Cole I say. "Oh, no." I sit on the couch and place my head in my hands.

Cole sits next to me. "What?"

I look at him. "A couple years ago I went to Uncle Kevin's place to see him and he was with a girl. He dressed her up like me, had sex with her and beat her."

He knew I saw something and he came after me. He threatened my life and told me that I should keep my mouth shut.

A number of girls reported what happened to them, but the Police didn't have enough evidence to arrest him.

"Do you think he followed you out there to do something else?"

I shrug. "I have no idea what that man was thinking. After I turned 21 things between him and I changed. He became obsessed with me and sent lots of things to me. I just threw them in the bin."

"Why haven't you told anyone about this?"

"I wanted to protect the man I grew up with. He was one of the men that I trusted with my life until he changed and by that time I didn't have any family to turn to."

"What about you're Grandparents?"

"They died before my sixteenth birthday. Do you remember that bushfire that wiped out an entire small town in California?"

"Yeah,"

"My Grandparents lived there and they didn't have enough time to get out. Losing all of them was hard for the family. We had to bury the four of them on the same day. My parents didn't handle it well."

"I'm so sorry."

"Thanks, but I really don't want to remember that time of my life. I want to move forward, but it's hard when people don't want to share what happened while I was."

Cole puts a movie on and we sit next to each other. He moves his hand to the back of the couch.

I watch the TV as the movie starts.