{Keith x Reader x Lance}; Oppurtunity [Part #1]

Character; Keith Kogane, Lance McClain

AU; BOM!Galra!Keith, Red Paladin!Reader, Altean!Lance

Warnings and should-knows;
•Requested by @blackstarrockshooter
•NotmyShiro!Shiro (Kuro[n])
UNEDITED!!

.-+*0*+-.

What do you do when you're caught between a once-in-a lifetime opportunity, and a blessing you already have?

And with each of those choices comes with not only your chance to change the war, but someone who loves you?

...

"Alright Paladins! It's time for another planet visit for the coalition! Collect anything you need for a full day on planet Moltirr. Coran packed you all some snacks and markers, there are reportedly a large population of children here, and our underwhelming amount of pens last time for signatures had a lot of complaints." Allura reminds throughout the intercom if the castleship, her voice perky and high-kept. Unlike you, someone got a good night of sleep.

"After the festival, we shall attend the dinner that Moltirr's leaders have prepared for us and discuss their participation in the alliance. Good luck Paladins!"

You sniff with irritation as you rub off a scuff on your helmet, and it catches the ears of a certain blue paladin. He's always happy to be doing these types of things, no matter what could be going on at the hands of the Galra while you act like celebrities. You can't say much, some people are people pleasers. You just aren't.

"Why the long face?" He asks, and you can hear the playful sarcasm.

"Why the long ears?" You retaliate, making him 'hmf' a little. His Altean genetics aren't an eye sore, but they are unusual. He thinks the same about yours, and they were the first thing he commented on when you first met.

'They're round?' He'd ask, for the fourteenth time, touching them without a single thing holding him back. After one of his sharp, precise-trimmed nails scratched your lobe, his hand was smacked away as if an oblivious bug on a wall.

'Yours are weird.' You commented back, hoping to offend. Instead, he catches the claim as a chance, a chance to do what he does best.

'Why thank you~' He said, pushing his hair back to let them have their spotlight. 'You like them?'

After you replied 'no, but they're fine.', your buddy-buddy relationship sparked. He spoke witty without knowing how foolish he actually sounded, and you spoke with actual wit, snapping back at him with words just light enough that you can't offend him.

Anyways, back to the present.

"In all seriousness, you don't look pleased. You don't like the massive crowds, the adoring fans?"

The scuff finally fades, and you wipe your hand on the bayard table. "We're supposed to be saving the people of the universe from the Galra's tyranny, not babysitting and signing papers." You answer, attaching your bayard to your hip. "And no, I would prefer to stay here, plan our next mission and end this war as fast as possible. Just wanna go home."

"Well, I think a little time away from the battlefield will do us some good." He says. "We all want to go home, but we have to finish what we've started first. And today, we are going to catch a break from all of the work and stress that the war keeps loading on us."

Your eyes' sight slips past your helmet to stare at the floor, uncertainties filling you up like cold soup on an even colder day. "This war has been going on for centuries. Do you ever think that we're only scratching the surface? We probably won't even end the war ourselves."