Chapter 7 ~ Wishes Fall Short

12th of May 1776

~Third person pov~

Today you had to wake up early as the King requested. You got up an hour early and got dressed in the plainest looking dress. You then exited the room quietly trying not to wake Samuel and Ella. After you closed the door you made your way to the King's room.

You were very nervous and tired but you couldn't do anything, if the King was to trust you, you would need to prove that you are loyal. You walked all the way to the King's room where two guards were standing. They stopped you and asked for your name, "Y/N L/N." the two men then stepped aside and let you inside the King's room. This was totally not weird.

You walked in quietly and started cleaning the shelves in George's room. It was awkward for you at first but as you were close to finishing you soon became less jumpy. You now only had to clean the bed. Shit. You carefully walked up to the bed and cleaned the bed without disturbing the King. You knew you couldn't change the beddings so you left. Not knowing that the King was awake the whole time.

~King George's pov~

I heard the door click, Y/N had just left my room. I got up and looked around my whole room. Nothing was missing, my suspicion was gone about her being a spy. She was probably just a serious person. She did seem pretty intimidating for a woman. Hmm... She's probably cleaning the throne room now. Maybe if I get dressed quickly enough I can thank her. Despite being a commoner she seemed to have great manners and professionalism. Anyway, I better go get dressed. I have that boring meeting today.

~Y/N's pov~

After I awkwardly clean The Kings room, I headed to the throne room. The throne room was usually the hardest job, but after I cleaned The King's room while he was there, I realised today is the day when the throne room was an easier task.

As soon as I opened the large oak door I rushed to clean the room. Ella, Samuel and I were going to meet up and chat in the gardens. Sure it sounded boring but if my cousin and my kind-of crush were there then nothing could be bland.

It took a while cleaning but it was as bland as usual. While sweeping the floor you remembered what your dad said to you before you left home.

~Two weeks ago~

"This is going to be a tough job, but if you follow my instructions clearly you'll come back with your head attached. Your uncle General Fredrick will be sending me letters each week. I will read them and write my own letter too you with what you need to find." I looked at my Father, "But how will you get the letters to me?" My father smiled and pulled out a cage from under the table we were sitting at. "This is Charles. He will be delivering the messages to you. He used to be the royal messaging pigeon but he retired." I looked up at my father, "What happens if someone else gets the letters?" he smirked, "We will use code names, I wrote down a list of the code names." he then handed me a piece of paper.

Code names

Father - Edward
Mother - Mary
You - Eliza
Ella - Alice
The King - Rook
Battle plans - paintings

You looked at the piece of paper and folded it in your pocket.

~End of flashback~

I still wonder if Charles had arrived yet. I still am on the lookout for that pigeon. I kept cleaning though as I was thinking and soon I had finished the whole hall. I picked up my bucket and mop and headed for the door. But before I could open it a group of guards had beat me to it. The opened the door and the King came in. I quickly bowed my head in respect. He looked down at me and smiled. I didn't look up and he walked to his throne. I quickly shuffled through the door and made my way outside.

~Ella's pov~

Sammy and I were waiting for Y/N to arrive. She was taking so long, I was worried she did something stupid, but then I saw her rush into the garden where Sammy and I are. I was going to ask her why she was late but I decided to leave her alone. "Sorry, I'm late guys. So what are we going to do." I smirked at her, "Were going to play tag. Y/N looked down at me in confusion, "Why would we play something that childish?" I laughed and replied, "Come on it's fun! Sammy and I want to play." She laughed and I got up, "Your in!" I ran off and the game began.

~King's pov~

I was boringly sitting on my throne listening to my minister's blabber on about taxes and stuff. It was honestly boring and I decided to look out the window. I could see Samuel, Ella and Y/N running around the garden maze. They looked like they were enjoying themselves. I still remember running around in gardens when I was younger, it used to be an escape from all the pressure that was put upon me. I looked out at them again, I wish I could join them and end this boring meeting. But as King, I have to be serious with my duties. Maybe I can join in tomorrow, they'll probably still be doing that. I smiled at them and turned my attention back to taxes. Hurray!