Chapter 38 ~ Back Home

22nd of February 1781

~Alfie's pov~

The cold of winter invaded the room and I pulled my blanket up and buried my face into my pillow. The violet eyes of my father flashed through my mind. Mr and Mrs L/N are looking after me ever since he had died, they were kind and provided me with a happy life. I snuggled tighter and hugged my blanket. Of course this wasn't my room though.

I smiled and looked up at the picture of their daughter hanging in the room. It was her room, they never really talked about her that I knew was that her name was Y/N, their only child.

Apparently she was happily married and living with her husband in London. Of course Mr and Mrs L/N always seemed sad talking about her, but  maybe that's how ever parent feels.

I smiled sadly and got out of bed. I missed my mother and father but I knew they'd be proud of me. And besides Mr and Mrs L/N love me like a son.

"Alfred!" Mrs L/N yelled out. I jumped up in shock and quickly ran downstairs. "Yes Mrs L/N." I smiled. Mr and Mrs L/N were both sitting at the dinner table with a letter sitting half open. "What's wrong?" I asked.

Mr L/N bowed his head, "Alfie pack your things, we need to go." I looked at them confused, "Where?" I asked. Mrs L/N looked at me, "America." she spoke. "America? But that's where the revolution is happening, why are we going there?" I panicked. "We'll explain later Alfie, just go get dressed and pack everything you need, we need to leave as soon as possible." Mr L/N explained.

Scared to talk back I nodded and headed back upstairs.

Why America?

~At the harbour~

My dirty blonde hair blew in front of my eyes. I brushed ot away and stared out at the harbour. Mrs L/N was holding my shoulder tightly as we walked out, the place was gloomy and people were all lined up. People in bright red coats were lined up and holding pieces of paper. We joined one of the lines and we waited.

Everyone had miserable faces and the fog that surrounded the harbour didn't help lighten the mood.

"Next!" we were pushed in front of some soldiers. "Papers please." one of them demanded. Mr L/N handed three pieces of paper to the man. "L/N interesting, same as the Queen. Do you know her? " the man looked at us. "No, it's a common surname where we are from." Ms L/N explained.

The man stared at me for a second, "Well then in you go." he handed back Mr L/N's papers and we scurried i to the ship. "Why did he evem ask that? Isn't the Queen dead?" I asked. Mrs and Ms L/N cut me off, "We'll explain it to you when we get to the cabin, right now I need you to be quiet." Ms L/N explained. I nodded and we walked into the deck.

What were they hiding?

~Later that night~

The ship slowly rocked backwards and forward. I sat on a small, thin mattress and pulled it closer to me. "So are you going to tell me why we are going to America.?" Mr and Ms L/N were looking at each other slightly. I waited for them to answer me.

Mr L/N moved next to me and stared at my sky blue eyes. "Were going to live with my daughter." he spoke. "Your daughter? But she lives in London." I replied. Mr L/N chuckled slightly, "I wish it was as simple as that, but alas it isn't." he scoffed. "What do you mean Mr L/N?" I questioned.

"My daughter is the Queen." he spoke in a low tone. "What? Your saying that Queen Y/N is your daughter!?" I pipped up. "Yep, of course she isn't Queen anymore,she ran away." he smirked.

"But then why was King George saying that she was kidnapped by Americans?" I asked. "The darn coward probably didn't want to admit that his own wife ran away from him." Mr L/N ranted and took a sip of his rum. I looked at Ms L/N who was almost in tears. "But why? And how did she even escape." I asked.

Mrs L/N broke down in tears and Mr L/N closed his eyes in pain. "It's my fault, her uncle wanted someone to spy so my daughter volunteered, I shouldn't have let her." he scoffed. I looked down at up at him, "So she didn't even like him." I bowed my head in shame of not even knowing. "That King or whatever even had the guts to touch my daughter let alone impregnate her, let me tell you if he was infront of me I'd give him a piece of mind." Mr L/N stared at his hands amd breathed heavily, "I should've been there for her, but I was too stupid." he scolded himself.

All this time I thought Y/N was happily married in London. But instead she was a runway Queen.

And the King I had always looked up to was a monster. As I questioned my ideals even more I wondered.

Even though my father died fighting revolutionaries, I was heading straight to the country they resided.

I didn't know this at the time but I was heading somewhere that would change my life forever.

So as the ship I was on headed to America, mind grew. All my ideals until then were different, from a small farm boy in England, could I be more?