Chapter 6: "He's a science teacher, they're meant to be scary!"

Hello and welcome back to another Friday update of Sweetheart! Hope you're all doing well! Enjoy!

~~~~~

"Ya coming?" Luke asked.

Julie stepped forward, just a little, in hopes that she would be close enough.

"What? Are you scared of me or something?" He said, giving Julie a questionable look.

Julie shook her head. "Not as scared as you are of Mr. Christensen."

"He's a science teacher, they're meant to be scary," Luke defended.

"Are you two gonna keep bickering, or are we gonna practice?" Alex broke in.

Julie took a couple more steps towards Luke, who pulled out a crumpled piece of paper and handed it to her. She unraveled it and read the top.

Bright

Julie could tell it was obviously a song by the chords and notes written on the page. As she read through the lyrics, she couldn't believe that Luke had written this. She knew he could write songs really well based off of school assignments, but they had never quite matched this. This song had power and meaning, unlike any school assignment that he only did for the grade. Before Julie could fully comprehend that Luke had written this song, Alex was counting them in, and the music started to play. Luke nodded at her to take the first few lines.

Sometimes I think I'm falling down

I wanna cry, I'm calling out

For one more try to feel alive

And when I feel lost and alone

I know that I can make it home

Fight through the dark and find the spark

Julie was hardly singing. She glanced at Luke, and he had an upset look on his face. She could tell that he wanted her to sing bigger, but she didn't know if she could. It had been very hard loving music without her mother.

Life is a risk, but I will take it

Close my eyes and jump

Together, I think that we can make it

Come on, let's run

The chorus was next, and she assumed that the boys would hop in. Luke still looked disappointed that she wasn't singing as big or bold as he knew she could.

And rise through the night, you and I

We will fight to shine together, bright forever

And rise through the night, you and I

We will fight to shine together, bright forever

Something changed inside Julie during the chorus. She didn't know what it was, but something inside her decided that now was not the time to be scared. Sure, singing and making music without her mom would be hard, but she could do it. What Julie really wanted was to be in this band. With these boys that she hardly knows. It was time for a change. Luke had a solo, and Julie was able to come back stronger than ever with the pre chorus and chorus.

Life is a risk, but we will take it

Close my eyes and jump

Together, I think that we can make it

Come on, let's run

And rise through the night, you and I

We will fight to shine together, bright forever

And rise through the night, you and I

We will fight to shine together, bright forever

Glancing at Luke, Julie could tell he was loving her energy. She sang as loud as she could. She hadn't felt this great in a year. She was finally singing, really singing! This was not like the time she tried to hum the melody to a song her mom once wrote. This is what it was like to feel alive again! How much greater can this day get?

And rise (rise) through the night (through the night)

You and I (you and I)

We will fight to shine together (we will shine together)

Bright forever (bright forever)

And rise (rise) through the night (through the night)

You and I (you and I)

We will fight to shine together (we will shine together)

Bright forever

Even though it was just a practice, they finished so strong that they needed to take a break and breathe for a moment.

"See, I told you guys she had a killer voice!" Luke said, excitedly. He glanced over at Julie, who was already blushing.

"Dude, we didn't doubt it for a second!" Reggie said, exchanging looks with Alex.

Julie was feeling super confident now. She felt like she could sing anything. The first thing she needed to do was get her spot back in the music program at their school.

~~~~~

What did you think? As always, constructive criticism is always appreciated. See you next week (hopefully)