Chapter 15: "Eggs"

HEY EVERYONE! Bad news, I'm back in school. Good news, I didn't forget the Friday update of Sweetheart!

~~~~~

"Julie Molina!"

Julie quickly looked up to see the teacher eyeing her down.

"Phones away, please."

Julie was embarrassed. She could blame this on Luke, couldn't she? After all, it was him who had kept texting her. She nodded, and quickly wrote a message to him before putting her phone away in her pocket.

Julie: That's perfect, thank you.

She felt a couple more vibrations from her phone during class, but those would have to wait. She wasn't about to ruin her good student status.

Julie forgot about looking at the messages until she got to music class and just happened to sit next to Luke. He looked over at her and nudged her with his elbow.

"Ow," Julie whispered in his direction.

Luke shrugged. "Sorry," He said, only half whispering. "Why haven't you answered my texts?"

"I have class, Luke, I can't just keep texting or I'm going to get my phone taken away."

Luke shrugged again. Shrugging seemed to be his favorite thing today. He reached into his backpack, pulled out a crumpled piece of paper, and handed it to her.

"What's this?" Julie asked.

Luke shrugged (yes, again). "Just look at it."

Julie unfolded the paper to see her poem, Flying Solo, with some music notes and chords written next to each line.

Julie pulled a shocked look onto her face. "You did this?"

Luke shrugged (why does he keep doing that?). "I had a little help from Reggie. By the way, what's deep dish? Reggie wants to know."

Julie giggled a little under her breath. These boys were something else.

"Thank you," She said, turning her attention back to the front of the room where Ms. Harrison was talking about the upcoming assignment.

After school, Julie and the boys had exactly 30 minutes to practice Flying Solo before Flynn would be there. They had to work quickly and efficiently, which was hard with three mostly immature boys.

"Can we focus, please? We only have 20 more minutes before Flynn gets here." Julie had to raise her voice a little higher than she would usually like to, but over the drum stick sword fighting sounds, she couldn't even hear herself think.

All three boys stopped in their tracks and faced her. "Sorry," They said in unison.

"It's okay. Let's just work, yeah?"

Luke nodded his head. "Yeah."

At around 3:30, Julie went to find Flynn, who she'd supposed would be at her front door. Luckily for Julie, That's exactly where she was.

"Flynn!"

Flynn sighed. "I was just leaving this." SHe held out a t-shirt with the words 'Double Trouble' on it. "I won't need it anymore."

"I'm not taking it," Julie said, pushing the shirt back towards Flynn.

"Fine, then my dad can wash his car with it, though all this betrayal on it, might scratch his paint."

"Look, I'm sorry for not telling you," Julie countered. "But I need you to know how important you are to me. There's no way I would have made it through this year if it wasn't for you."

"Yet it was three strangers who got you back into music," Flynn started, tears of hurt forming behind her eyes. "I don't need someone in my life who lies and keeps things from me. Goodbye, Julie."

Flynn started to walk away, but was caught by Julie's arm.

"Wait! I wrote a song for you. Please, just listen." Julie looked sincerely into her eyes before Flynn sighed and agreed. Julie glanced at the ground where Flynn's backpack sat, just inside was a carton of eggs.

"Eggs?" Julie asked. "Why did you bring eggs?"

"Oh! Um... No." Flynn reached to the ground and picked up the backpack, stuffing the eggs farther inside. She laughed awkwardly, then continued speaking. "No. See, I grabbed those by mistake. It's not like I was going to throw them at your bedroom window or anything."

Julie smiled, rolled her eyes, and led Flynn to the garage where the boys were waiting for them. 

~~~~~

Next chapter, Flying Solo. 

What did you think? Let me know by commenting. Don't forget to vote! See yall next week.