Five

Skye's POV

'Beep beep beep', I rolled over and turned my alarm off. I laid in bed replaying everything that had happened last night at the yoghurt shop. I was annoyed and confused, I didn't want to go on a date with Wesley and I didn't know why he wanted to go on a date with me. I had never given him any indication that I was interested. I thought about him for a minute, he was definately good looking and I liked his smile, he would probably be my type if I was at all interested in having a type. I shook my head as if that would wipe all the thoughts from my head, and decided that not only was I not going to give this any more thought but I was also not going to Taylor and Lucy, they would just overreact. No, I would just go on the date, show Wesley that I wasn't like all the girls at school who swoon over him and then he'd realised he should focus his attention back on them. If this date was going to happen then my mission was to make sure no one found out about it, it was bad enough having to go on the date but the idea of everyone at school thinking I was just another one of his endless string of dates was way too embarrassing.

I rushed through my usual routine to get ready for school, the extra 10 minutes laying in bed had eaten into my getting ready time. I raced out the house, hopped on my bike and rode to school, feeling the warm sun on my back. After locking my bike I headed to my locker and as I rounded the corner I saw Taylor and Lucy both huddled around it. Why were they at my locker I wondered. I reached my locker and looked at them both quizzically. "We've been talking", Taylor started. Uh oh, I thought to myself, this can't be good. "And we think you should go on a date with Wes", finished Lucy. I panicked, how did they know, so much for my plan of no one finding out, EVER. Taylor, sensing my panic, continued, "We know you reckon he doesn't like you, but we think he does and it's about time you went on a date so just ask him, it'll be fun, we swear". I relaxed, they had no idea about the actual date, they were just meddling trying to get me to ask him on one, I was so relieved. "Not a chance in hell", I responded. Lucy tried a different approach, "Don't you think at some point you are going to have to give in to teenage hormones and interact with guys", she pleaded. I gave her a look, "I interact with guys", I snapped. "Making out with my brother a few times before he went to college is not interacting with guys", she insisted. I looked down a bit embarrassed, he was the only guy I had ever kissed. Lucy continued, "You never come to parties with us or anything". I didn't want to continue the conversation so I just reverted to my classic comeback, "Boys are stupid", and with that I marched off to History.

The truth is I wasn't sure why I didn't want a boyfriend. My mom insisted it was because my dad had left us, and yea that sucked but that was his issue not mine, I didn't think it really affected my love life or lack there of. I had kissed Lucy's brother a few times and it wasn't bad but it also wasn't all fireworks and stuff, it was just something to do. I figured, why spend time doing something that is fine when I could be doing things I actually loved, like spending time with my friends or dreaming of college. Plus I really needed to get at least a part scholarship for college so I had to focus on my school work, not boys. And even if I was going to focus even a little bit of my time on boys, it definately wasn't going to be on Wesley. I doubted he would understand my desire to do well in school, seeing as he spent most of science talking about girls. And the fact that all he seemed to care about was girls was the second reason I wasn't going to waste my time on him. I'm sure that was the only reason he wanted to go on a date with me, then he could probably officially say he'd dated everyone in our class. That last thought made me realise that that I had to get this date over with as soon as possible and as secretly as possible.

The day went slowly, but then again Thursdays always did, it was something about the order of the classes that made it feel twice as long. Finally I was headed into my last class of the day, but unfortunately it was science. I didn't really want Wesley talking to me or about the date in front of Taylor so when I saw her heading into the classroom I called out to her. She turned and waited for me to catch up, I figured if I could delay us going into the room til the very last second then the lesson would begin before Wesley could talk to me, if he was going to. I realised I had nothing to say, so I put on a sad face and told her I got a 93 on my English paper. "That's so good Skye" she squealed but then noticed I wasn't happy, "Why are you sad about getting a 93?" she questioned. "I really needed over a 95 to keep my English grade up where it is", I explained. Taylor looked sympathetically at me and then her face lit up into a smile, her eyes glanced over at someone behind me and then I saw Wesley walk past us and into class. She winked at me and I just rolled my eyes. Mr Mattison picked up his Chemistry book and started flicking to find where we were up to so I knew he would start the class any second. I grabbed Taylor and dragged her to our bench just as he looked up to begin. A few minutes into the class, when we were measuring our hydrochloric acid, she leaned over and said to me, "I'm really sorry about your 93, you'll ace the next text I know it, I'll help you study and by help I mean bring you snacks while you study". I laughed, and that is why Taylor is one of my two best friends, because despite being boy crazy and bad at English, she always tries to cheer me up.