C H A P T E R 7

— • —

Chapter 7: The Black Lotus Essence, Part 1

As the other disciples, both inner and outer, hastened back to Shen Hua Mountain's entrance, Chen Yi valiantly held off the onslaught of human snakes to ensure their safe retreat.

Previously, their solitary flight might have stemmed from an awareness of their vulnerability when facing multiple foes alone. It appears they employ strategic thinking in their attacks. Now, as the human snakes converge in a swarm, numerous assailants are overwhelming and clambering over Chen Yi. Drawn to those with refined and potent spiritual qi, Chen Yi became their prime target.

A golden aura of spiritual qi shrouded Chen Yi's blade. With her eyes closed, she concentrated on channeling more qi into her sword. Once it was sufficiently imbued, she executed five swift cuts through the air. The spiritual qi released from her sword materialized into talon-like forms that cleaved the majority of the human spiders into fragments.

The Chrysanthemum's wrath.

As soon as the human-like snake was cut into pieces, the human face on its head vanished, reverting to its original snake form. This transformation likely occurred because they consumed the spiritual qi from flowers intended for human use, causing them to gradually morph into a distorted human resemblance.

After significantly reducing the number of snakes, Chen Yi let out a deep sigh and sheathed her sword. It was a unique blade with a chrysanthemum pattern on the hilt and a blade that gleamed yellow. The remaining few snakes no longer dared to attack her due to their diminished numbers.

The snakes slithered away through the underbrush, gripped by fear. Chen Yi retrieved a firework from her belt and ignited it, sending sparks of various colors scattering into the sky. Such fireworks were reserved for emergencies that threatened the lives of Mount Hua Peak's disciples, signaling for backup from Wan Zhan Peak's disciples.

All managed to escape Shen Hua Mountain unscathed, but the earlier roar of the gigantic creature had left their inner spiritual qi damaged. The disciples caught their breath while others quenched their thirst. Chen Yi tidied her disheveled hair, which had come undone during the ordeal. Within minutes, Peak Master Tian Lang, Peak Master Mo Xian, Bai Lan, and other disciples from Wan Zhan Peak arrived on their flying swords.

Mo Xian immediately went to Chen Yi. "Are you alright? How about the others? Where is Liu Xiao?" he asked anxiously, checking Chen Yi for any injuries.

Chen Yi shook her head. "I'm fine, Master. The disciples are also safe and unharmed," she replied. She avoided her master's last question and diverted the conversation. "Master Mo, what brings you here? Shouldn't you be recuperating at Mount Hua Peak while we retrieve the Black Lotus Essence?"

Chen Yi cast a glance at Peak Master Tian Lang, who turned away, his face etched with defeat. Her master must have insisted on coming after seeing the emergency flares.

Mo Xian rubbed his temples. "This was a mistake; I should not have sent you on this mission. I realize now that obtaining the Black Lotus Essence is impossible," he said, his voice quivering and his face filled with remorse. "Where is Liu Xiao? Has he been injured?" The air grew heavy with silence; no one responded. Mo Xian's usually composed face betrayed a hint of panic. "Where is Liu Xiao?" he repeated, his voice shaking. Chen Yi and the disciples stayed quiet until one girl courageously spoke up.

"Senior Brother Liu Xiao *sniff* saved us. We were attacked by a massive snake monster with a human face. Senior Brother Liu Xiao distracted the giant snake, allowing us time to escape, and in doing so, fell off the cliff," said the girl, her voice trembling as tears streamed down her swollen eyes.