C H A P T E R 2 2

- • -

Chapter 22: The Continuation

Everything unfolded rapidly. Liu Xiao found himself in a stupor, gazing at the vast, vacant circular portal. The glowing red inscriptions of ancient characters vanished along with the black shadow and Wu Qingge. He scanned his surroundings in search of the young demon that had accompanied him earlier, only to find emptiness. It seemed Wu Qingge had summoned him back.

The demon cult and cultivators were taken aback to witness Liu Xiao's blade impaled in Dao Ling's torso, his unarmored back exposed. As Dao Ling spat out blood for the second time, the demon cult wasted no time in banding together to launch an assault on Liu Xiao.

Assuming Liu Xiao was vulnerable and distracted by the underworld gate, they were caught off guard when he swiftly extracted his sword from Dao Ling's chest and brandished it with immense force toward them.

A vast expanse of white-pink spiritual energy emerged, accompanied by a dance of plum blossom petals. It advanced towards the demon cult with deceptive slowness, yet it was swift and laden with lethal intent.

Abruptly, a surge of white-pink spiritual energy swept over the demonic cultivators, initially gentle and fragrant. However, moments later, they were spewing blood from their mouths, their bodies collapsing to the ground—cold and devoid of life.

"Wow, amazing..."

"The Meihua Swan destroyed the spiritual core of those countless demonic cults in an instant."

"He truly lives up to his reputation and title."

"It looks like our side will win."

Liu Xiao ignored the surrounding whispers and remained dazed. The surviving heavenly demons and generals fled immediately, abandoning Dao Ling. Moments later, Liu Xiao regained his composure and shook his head.

He looked towards Dao Ling, who lay on the ground with closed eyes, grabbed his robe's collar, and said, "Hey Demon King, stop pretending and wake up."

The cultivators were stunned and gripped their swords anew, wary of Dao Ling, as numerous glares fixated on him. Subsequently, Dao Ling opened his eyes, sporting a grin, and said, "How astute, child. How did you discern?"

Liu Xiao was on the verge of responding but chose silence.

Of course, I knew! I had perused the penultimate page of the novel where it unveiled your possession of his body as your demon flames fled through the underworld gate!

Dao Ling cackled with a raspy voice and added: "Indeed, I inhabited this youth's form. Yet, I hadn't anticipated his frailty, despite being the demon cult's mightiest. Even if you dispel my demon flames now, they're merely a fragment of my soul. My true demon flames reside in the underworld; hence my eagerness to release them."

"Now that you're gone and the demon cult has been disbanded, your plan will not come to fruition," Liu Xiao declared, clenching his teeth.

Dao Ling regarded him with disbelief and retorted, "Do you truly believe there is but a single demon cult and merely one gate to the underworld? Hahahahaha! Child, your naivety is astounding! My absence will not hinder the success of my plan!"

As Liu Xiao reached for his talisman, the master of the floating palace descended and halted him. "Little Xiao, hold back. We mustn't destroy his soul outright; we need to extract more information." Do you presume he will submit to interrogation, Elder? He will undoubtedly resist.