C H A P T E R 5 7

— • —

Chapter 57: The Empire of Wan Rong, Part 3

The emperor's smile slowly dissolved, his once regal countenance now clouded with concern as he regarded Wu Qingge. His brows knitted together in a deep frown, and his lips tightened into a thin line as he absorbed Wu Qingge's words. Summoning a strained smile, he addressed the gathering with measured tones. "What... did you say?"

Wu Qingge, standing resolute beside Liu Xiao, held his hand firmly as he faced the emperor's scrutiny. "I said I am not your son," he repeated, his voice steady and unwavering.

The emperor's response was a disbelieving chuckle, accompanied by a dismissive shrug aimed at the assembled nobility. "How can that be? By blood, you are my offspring. Are you jesting with us, Honorable Black Lotus?"

Wu Qingge's lips tightened, a shadow darkening his features as he countered, "With all due respect, Your Majesty, it seems you are the one playing a jest upon us. Did you summon us here solely for this charade?"

A heavy silence fell upon the hall as the emperor, visibly deflated, sank back into his golden throne, regarding Wu Qingge with a mixture of disappointment and resignation. "How callous, Honorable Black Lotus. The matter of lineage is of utmost importance to the throne. I cannot afford to entertain such baseless claims lightly."

As the tension thickened, Liu Xiao, standing behind Wu Qingge, could feel the weight of the moment. He exchanged a glance with his companion, his eyes silently urging Wu Qingge to depart from this escalating confrontation.

Liu Xiao, who was behind Wu Qingge, was looking at them all this time with his eyes opened so wide to the point that they might pop out of his eyelid. No! Wu Qingge, if you think about it, you two look alike!!! He's definitely your biological father!!! And didn't you see that woman in the portrait who was the empress earlier?! Most of her features look just like yours! I'm sure of it!

The nobles watched with bated breath, their eyes fixed on Wu Qingge, awaiting his response. Without hesitation, the handsome man turned to his companion, whispering softly to his wife. "Gege, let's leave now."

Liu Xiao stood there, his expression frozen in disbelief, as if he were struck by lightning. Slowly, he nodded in a daze, allowing Wu Qingge to lead him toward the massive golden double doors.

Meanwhile, at the back of the hall, the emperor's fury boiled over, and he barked orders at the imperial guards. "Close the doors!" The guards obeyed without question, though their faces betrayed a hint of fear, knowing they were challenging two formidable cultivators who had bested powerful adversaries.

With a swift motion, the massive doors swung shut, and the guards formed a barrier, their expressions a mixture of guilt and apology. Liu Xiao's brows furrowed in irritation, feeling the emperor's actions were excessive. He shot a piercing glare back at the ruler, his voice laced with irritation as he addressed him.

"What is the meaning of this, Your Majesty? Why block our path simply because Wu Shidi refused your claim?" The emperor met his gaze, his response laced with authority. "This is a matter between father and son. Your interference is unwelcome, Honorable Meihua Swan."

Liu Xiao's eyes widened in outrage, his temper flaring. "What insolence! I have every right! I am his wife!" he declared boldly, refusing to be dismissed or ignored.

The nobles and other attendees watched with wide-eyed fascination, their murmurs filling the air like the rustle of autumn leaves. It was as if they were witnessing a riveting drama unfold before them—a tale of a long-lost prince reunited with his wife, who dared to defy the expectations placed upon him by his father.