C H A P T E R 2 8

— • —

Chapter 28: Ghost Town, Part 2

Liu Xiao turned towards Shi Xuan. Despite his simple attire, his striking features and youthful appearance shone through, leading one to suspect he was either nobility incognito or a prince. Liu Xiao sighed, a wave of nostalgia washing over him. He was always reminded of someone who exuded an effortless charm.

"You've returned already, Shi Xiao?" Liu Xiao inquired as he beckoned him closer to squat on the roof. His focus then shifted to two men about to venture down a dark alley flanked by towering buildings. He signaled to Bai Lan and Lan Yang, directing them toward the alley the men had taken.

Subsequently, Liu Xiao checked Shi Xuan's pulse, marveling at his consistent well-being despite his solitary ventures. With a quick pat on Shi Xuan's head, Liu Xiao resumed his surveillance of the desolate town from their rooftop vantage point.

Bai Lan emerged from the alley and motioned for them to follow. Chen Yi and Shan Ling descended stealthily to the ground, blending in by feigning conversation as they entered the alley. Liu Xiao scratched his head in frustration. "Ugh, acting is not my forte. What should I do?" he whispered to himself.

"Gege, this way," urged Shi Xuan, gently guiding Liu Xiao towards the rear of the roof. With a puzzled expression, Liu Xiao furrowed his brow. "Huh? Where are we headed? The alley is right over there," he queried, albeit allowing Shi Xuan to lead him away.

"Do you trust me?" inquired Shi Xuan. Liu Xiao cocked his head, seemingly in search of an explanation, then gave a slow, deliberate nod, affirming, "Yes, I do." A soft smile graced Shi Xuan's lips as he turned to face him.

Gently descending onto a narrow lane aglow with red lanterns, Liu Xiao trailed behind Shi Xuan, his senses heightened and alert, scrutinizing their surroundings. Despite his trust in Shi Xuan, the fear of an ambush and the potential harm to Shi Xuan kept him on edge, his hand ever-ready to unsheathe his sword at a moment's notice.

Noticing his vigilance, Shi Xuan chuckled softly and gave Liu Xiao a reassuring pat, saying, "Brother, there's no need for concern. I've already dealt with those pests." What? He did what? Which pests? Liu Xiao inwardly gasped at the thought of Shi Xuan dispatching demonic cultivators as though squashing insects. He blinked repeatedly and shook his head to regain focus on their objective, yet found himself unable to suppress the smile that crept across his lips.

"Why are you smiling, brother?" probed Shi Xuan. To quell his grin, Liu Xiao pinched his own cheek and replied, "It's nothing. I'm just imagining someone."

"Who?" pressed Shi Xuan with curiosity.

"You," came Liu Xiao's immediate response.

Shi Xuan was momentarily stunned, his gaze lifting and his lips pressing firmly together. Realizing the implication of his response, Liu Xiao turned away and rubbed his temples. Fucking... Didn't my answer sound perverted?! (︺︹︺) The fuck, why would I imagine... No, it's not like that! It's different!

Liu Xiao whirled around and began to clarify, "Umm... It's not what you think—I merely envisioned you defeating those demonic cultivators. It's not like that; my interests lie elsewhere."

Shi Xuan simply nodded and proceeded, a faint smirk playing on his lips. Liu Xiao fought the urge to bash his head against the wall in frustration, fearing Shi Xuan might deem him insane, so he opted to silently berate himself internally. As they continued on their path, an imposing manor came into view. It stood ancient and opulent, adorned solely in black and gold, with red lanterns festooned throughout.