C H A P T E R 2 3

— • —

Chapter 23: The Gambling House, Part 1

In the blink of an eye, five years had passed.

Mount Hua Peak and Wan Zhan Peak emerged as the best following their participation in the Rising Star Cultivation Battle. Liu Xiao reclaimed his second rank, while Bai Lan maintained her position at the top. Chen Yi remained in eighth place, and Shan Ling, having triumphed over the seventh-ranked contender, is now ranked above Chen Yi.

Liu Xiao continued to be a strikingly handsome man. As he matured into adulthood, his physique became more refined, his shoulders perfectly proportioned, and his facial features significantly more defined. Four years prior, Liu Xiao embarked on a four-year seclusion for intensive cultivation, emerging from his retreat with greatly enhanced powers and a distinctive red mark on his forehead.

This mark, a delicate plum blossom petal, resisted all attempts at removal and became a permanent fixture on his brow. During the Rising Star Cultivation Battle, when he harnessed his spiritual qi for the first time, the mark's hue shifted from a soft pink to a warm orange reminiscent of the sun, yet it retained its allure.

With each battle, the mark radiated an orange glow and emitted sparks. Although Liu Xiao initially found this peculiar, he eventually grew accustomed to it. Lan Yang ceased his harassment of Liu Xiao after Zhan Baiwon compelled him to publicly apologize at the Mount Hua Peak banquet five years earlier and chastised him for his malevolent intentions.

"May I have five tanghulu, please?" Liu Xiao offered a gold tael to the vendor. Astonished by the generous payment, the vendor hesitated, about to protest that it was too much. However, Liu Xiao swiftly collected five Tanghulu and departed.

(Tanghulu, also called bingtanghulu, is a traditional Northern Chinese snack of candied Crataegus pinnatifida fruit, also known as mountain hawthorn, Chinese haw, Chinese hawthorn, Chinese hawberry, or shanzha in Mandarin Chinese.)

"You're too generous," said Bai Lan, his usual grumpy expression unchanged.

"Inside the peak, we have mountains of gold taels! It would be wasteful to merely use them as decoration!" Liu Xiao responded, eagerly consuming the five tanghulu in his mouth.

The relationship between Liu Xiao and Bai Lan had improved; they no longer fought. Instead, Bai Lan became overly protective, treating Liu Xiao like a cherished younger brother. Liu Xiao often thought to himself, Am I not pampered excessively? I am an adult man! What is this?

Despite being grown, he often behaved childishly and foolishly before others. Mo Xian always found this endearing and hoped he would remain so eternally. Unbeknownst to Liu Xiao, he was constantly coddled by those close to him.

Liu Xiao frequently visited the mortal realm to purchase food and clothes, enjoy sightseeing, and travel wherever he desired. Mo Xian permitted this but insisted that Bai Lan accompany him on his outings. Initially, Liu Xiao objected, confident in his ability to protect himself. However, Mo Xian, the Mount Hua Peak Master, ultimately prevailed.

Passing by the inn where he and Wu Qingge had stayed five years prior, Liu Xiao noted it was still bustling with activity. The woman who usually welcomed guests had aged; wrinkles lined her face, and a young child played on her chair.

A sigh escaped him, accompanied by a sharp pang in his chest at the memory of Wu Qingge. Shaking off the feeling, he continued walking alongside Bai Lan, enjoying the tanghulu in his hand. He believed Wu Qingge would return, yet the prospect of their meeting filled him with trepidation. What if he lost his memories and also his emotions? He wouldn't hesitate to kill me!