C H A P T E R 5 3

— • —

Chapter 53: The Sea Serpent's Trial, Part 3

The magnificent mermaid stood beneath the grand, luminous chandelier, her teal-green attire flowing elegantly around her, accentuating her snow-white skin. Lifeless teal-green eyes fixed on them, while her silver hair accessories gently fluttered.

Once more, her voice, like a captivating melody, filled the chamber. "My heart is but a stone now. I do not need such love. Please leave the Water Palace and pretend you saw nothing."

Liu Xiao, dumbfounded, mustered a smile and addressed the mermaid. "Your Highness, my companions are injured somewhere here. May I... may I retrieve them, if you please?"

The mermaid's astonishment shifted to sorrow as she gazed at him with her lifeless, teal-green eyes. "You're not here for me?"

Confused, Liu Xiao shook his head truthfully. The mermaid's sorrow turned to anguish. "Why... Why?! Why does no one wish to see me?! Why—your companions will never escape! They sought to end my life! I sacrificed everything! Everything!!! Why do you all seek my demise?! What have I done?! What transgressions have I committed?!" Her voice cracked as tears streamed from her eyes, silver droplets signifying her status as a mythical being.

Silver tears, born from those who borrowed power from a god, were revered for their ability to forge unbreakable weapons, armor, or exquisite jewelry, while legends spoke of their capacity to bring boundless wealth.

Golden tears, on the other hand, were said to possess divine power, capable of resurrecting the dead or bestowing enlightenment. They were hailed as the epitome of sacredness, stemming directly from the gods.

Liu Xiao remained silent, his gaze filled with pity. The mermaid, sensing his empathy, recoiled. "Why do you look at me so?! Do I arouse your pity? Am I truly that wretched and tragic? Am I repulsive to your eyes? Hideous and unsightly?" Her cries echoed through the hall as she clutched at her hair in despair.

She really became mad... Liu Xiao, realizing the futility of reasoning with the mermaid in her current state, stepped back, inadvertently bumping into Wu Qingge behind him.

The mermaid, startled by the collision, cried out in pain, her anguish escalating into fury. "WHY?! Why do you all treat me this?! Am I truly so vile? So pitiable? So repulsive? So hideous? Do I deserve death?"

Observing her distress, Liu Xiao couldn't suppress his empathy. "I'm sorry. You must have endured much."

Her reaction caught him off guard, and even Wu Qingge seemed surprised. Liu Xiao, stunned by his own words, shook his head vehemently. "N-no, I didn't mean..."

The mermaid's tears continued to flow, silver rivulets cascading down her snow-white cheeks. Despite her efforts to wipe them away, they persisted, an eternal manifestation of her sorrow and anguish.

She gazed at Liu Xiao with profound sadness. "Why... Why must you say such things? You'll only confuse me further. It's always the same. I misunderstand, and I suffer. It's always my fault."

Suddenly, a malevolent black aura emanated from her, causing her to cry out in agony. Her screams reverberated through the silent hall as she lamented, "No! It's not me! It's them! The humans! Why must they treat me thus? Why condemn me without cause? It's their fault! Not mine! Theirs!"

The mermaid yelled in pain, and a glowing teal-green light surrounded her, mixed with a black-colored wisp. The glowing light became larger and larger until it reached the chandelier up the ceiling, and the glowing light halted, followed by a loud roar that made the tiny little mermaids tremble in fear and run away from the majestic teal blue palace.