C H A P T E R 7 1

— • —

Chapter 70: Deep Inside the Underworld Realm, Part 1

Liu Xiao staggered upon landing on the desolate, polluted soil of the underworld realm, his senses assaulted by the eerie surroundings. Above, the wings of crows beat rhythmically as they soared through the ominous black and crimson sky, their cacophonous caws echoing through the air. Grasping his stomach, Liu Xiao fought against the rising waves of nausea, a disorienting sensation akin to being spun on a carousel at breakneck speed.

"F-fuck. I want to puke. Urgh!"

Reacting swiftly, Liu Xiao delivered a resounding slap to his own cheeks with both hands, the force of his blow leaving his soft, pale skin flushed and tingling with soreness. The sharp sting jolted him back to awareness, grounding him in the present moment.

"No! Liu Xiao, listen! Wu Wingge comes first before puking, okay?! Now let's find the kingdom!" he said to himself with a nod.

Liu Xiao drew in a deep breath, then leaned against the trunk of a towering, gnarled tree. Above, leaves drifted lazily to the ground, settling upon the polluted soil with a soft rustle. Frowning in contemplation, Liu Xiao plucked one of the fallen leaves, his gaze fixed on its delicate form as he lost himself in thought. Isn't the underworld realm supposed to be full of withered trees? How can a tree grow healthy like this in polluted soil? How unusual...

Liu Xiao's gaze lifted, widening at the sight that greeted him. Not just one tree, but an entire forest sprawled before him, its canopy of leaves cascading down like a verdant waterfall amidst the sinister backdrop of the demonic night sky, tinged in hues of black and crimson. With a cautious step forward, Liu Xiao's senses tingled with apprehension, his whole being on high alert.

Devoid of weaponry, Liu Xiao could rely only on his own strength, for he could no longer summon Huangtian's power without a whisper of spiritual qi within him. Reduced to the vulnerability of a mortal, he steeled himself and pressed onward, his heart pounding in his chest.

The trees whispered secrets as they rustled and swayed, yet no wind stirred the air, heightening the suspicion that pervaded the forest. It felt as though the very trees themselves were sentient, attuned to Liu Xiao's presence, drawing upon his life force. And indeed, trees are living beings with a consciousness all their own.

With each step, the crackling of leaves beneath Liu Xiao's feet echoed through the forest, accompanied by an intensifying rustle that seemed to beckon him further. But Liu Xiao remained resolute, immune to the trees' silent invitation, forging ahead with determination along the path that lay before him.

On the night's red sky,

Wolves in the dark, tall trees...

Blood on the pitch-black soil,

Bones on the deep brown trunk...

Cries on the large, vast place,

Pain on the deep, soft flesh...

Sleep on the big tree roots,

Breathe in the lifeless air...

A woman's voice echoed hauntingly in Liu Xiao's ears, its sweetness masking an underlying danger that sent shivers down his spine. Though her melodic tones were enticing, Liu Xiao recognized the trap for what it was. It was as if she was weaving a hypnotic lullaby, luring him into a state of drowsiness.

Struggling to maintain his focus, Liu Xiao fought against the seductive pull of the woman's song, clenching his teeth in an effort to stave off the encroaching drowsiness. Yet the melody seemed to permeate the very air around him, suffusing the surroundings with the soporific essence of a potent sleeping draught.