C H A P T E R 6 3

— • —

Chapter 63: A Life for A Life, Part 1

When the old palace master seized the Heart of the Nether, the demon king's core, he knew it was a pivotal element in his grand scheme. However, as he summoned all the high-tier underworld gates scattered across the globe, he realized the magnitude of his task. There were far more gates than anticipated, and the immense energy from the demon king's core proved too much to contain, resulting in a catastrophic explosion.

In the aftermath, the old palace master, undeterred by the setback, enlisted the aid of a renowned craftsman to fashion a convincing replica of the Heart of the Nether. Concealing the fake deep within Shen Jing Mountain, he aimed to maintain the illusion of possessing the core.

Over countless years, the old palace master orchestrated the meticulous gathering of the high-tier underworld gates, hidden in the most obscure and treacherous locations imaginable. From ancient pyramids to labyrinthine dungeons, each gate presented its own unique challenge.

With the former Mount Hua Peak Master's blood, the old palace master planned to harness the combined power of the gates. However, when the former master beheld the contents of the crystallized heart, a surge of fury coursed through him like a raging inferno.

"YOU!!!" he roared, veins bulging in his temple as he struggled to contain his wrath. "GET WU QINGGE OUT OF HERE NOW!"

But before any action could be taken, the old palace master, with a chillingly emotionless expression, destroyed the heart housing the small black Lotus flower. A tremor shook the palace, and a wave of paralysis swept over all within. The protective chrysanthemum barriers surrounding the cultivators, Liu Xiao, and his comrades vanished in an instant, leaving them vulnerable and exposed.

Liu Xiao's grandpa let out a roar. "GET OUT OF HERE RIGHT NOW! ALL OF YOU!"

As chaos erupted and demons surged forward, Liu Xiao and his companions found themselves hurled violently by an unseen force. Before they could regain their bearings, the onslaught began. Mo Xian, bloodied and battered, struggled to his feet, coughing up crimson droplets, yet resolute as he raised his harp to defend against the demonic horde.

Each strum of the harp elicited fresh waves of agony from Mo Xian's injured fingers, yet he pressed on, refusing to yield. Despite the pain and the oppressive weight on his chest, he played on with unwavering determination.

"MO XIAN!"

Tian Lang's voice rang out with desperation as he sprinted towards his friend. With a swift motion, he hurled his fan into the air, enveloping it in a shimmering silver aura. The fan became a lethal weapon, slicing through the approaching demons with deadly precision, clearing a path toward Mo Xian.

"STOP PLAYING, MO XIAN!"

Tian Lang's plea was laced with urgency and fear. He reached Mo Xian's side, his heart pounding with dread as he beheld his friend's bloodied form.

Mo Xian managed a weak smile, blood trickling from his lips as he struggled to speak. "But... the kids..."

Tian Lang's eyes brimmed with tears as he pleaded once more. "Mo Xian, please... stop!"

As Mo Xian's fingers slipped weakly from his grasp, a fresh gush of blood erupted from his lips, staining his once pristine robe a deep crimson. His chest heaved with ragged breaths, the weight pressing down on him with unbearable intensity.

"MO XIAN!"

Tian Lang rushed to his side, channeling his spiritual energy into his friend in a desperate attempt to stave off the encroaching darkness. The silver light cascaded from Tian Lang's fingertips, enveloping Mo Xian's body as he fought to push back against the crushing force within.