C H A P T E R 1 8

— • —

Chapter 18: The Imperial Banquet of Yong'an, Part 1

"Absorb it properly so that your meridians can fully heal," Tian Lang instructed Mo Xian, who was indirectly absorbing the spiritual qi of the Black Lotus Essence.

Even though the Black Lotus Essence cannot be directly touched, Mo Xian and Tian Lang believed that allowing it to decay in the cave would merely cause it to wither, especially since the essence is no longer in Shen Hua Mountain.

Furthermore, Shen Hua Mountain was destroyed during their search for it. The black, purplish spiritual qi from the essence entered Mo Xian's body, clashing with his own spiritual qi. The sensation was intense; it felt like a cracked piece of glass slowly reforming into something new. It was scorching and pervaded his entire body.

Mo Xian sensed that his meridians were indeed healing, albeit only a small portion, and not all of them could fully return to normal. Mo Xian could only meditate to alleviate the pain caused by the turbulent spiritual qi within him. The spiritual qi of the Black Lotus Essence seemed infinite; he had absorbed less than half of it and could not take in any more. Therefore, he ceased his efforts and sealed the essence in a jade container.

Mo Xian sighed. "Now that I think about it, that child Wu Qingge practiced the Black Lotus Cultivation. I was unaware that the former Mount Hua Peak Master was still present, and most notably, he was sealed within a book," Mo Xian remarked.

"It's remarkable that your disciple did not turn out like your ancestor, who drained the spiritual qi of others," Tian Lang responded. Mo Xian chuckled and replied, "Just because one cultivates demonic qi doesn't make them evil. Wu Qingge must have preserved his humanity, or perhaps someone else preserved it for him."

"I received news that they are currently in the Yong'an Empire, having repelled a demon who served as the emperor's concubine," Tian Lang stated as he fanned himself. Mo Xian cocked his head and gazed at him incredulously. "Did you dispatch Bai Lan to shadow them?" Mo Xian inquired with a laugh. Tian Lang did not indulge in humor and kept fanning.

"What of the elders?" Mo Xian inquired, settling into the bamboo chair. "They've dispatched two Mercenary Martial Assassins from the demonic cult. Their intent to acquire the Black Lotus Cultivation is quite clear," Tian Lang replied, and they exchanged glances.

"They aim to release the demon king?!" Mo Xian blurted out, his face etched with shock and dismay. Tian Lang nodded, ceased fanning, and approached the window before adding, "It appears a war is imminent. We must prepare for the sake of our Peak's future generations." Mo Xian remained silent, releasing a heavy sigh and clutching the armrest of the bamboo chair tightly.

"NO!" Liu Xiao continued to shout "no," while Wu Qingge stood beside him, merely staring with his usual gentle smile. The imperial guard, flustered, pleaded, "Please, honorable Meihua Swan! The emperor will have my head if I return empty-handed!" Blocking their path, the guard gazed at them with eyes full of entreaty.

That damn emperor! I already said no. Why is he so persistent?! If he's bored, then feed his poor citizens or go sightseeing! Why bother me?! (︶︹︺)

Liu Xiao sighed and turned towards Wu Qingge, who was merely gazing at him. Assuming that Wu Qingge would follow him regardless, he did not bother to ask and instead addressed the guard, "Very well. We shall attend the banquet! Inform the emperor that he must provide us with suitable attire, as we possess none suitable for such an occasion. Our wardrobe consists solely of common robes unfit for a banquet!"