C H A P T E R 1 9

- • -

Chapter 19: The Imperial Banquet of Yong'an, Part 2

"Stop following me!" Chen Yi said with a fierce expression, pushing Shan Ling away. Shan Ling frowned and retorted, "I'm not trying to follow you! We just happen to be going the same way! I'm here to see Brother Wu!"

"That's precisely why you should keep your distance! I'm the only one who has the right to call him Brother Wu!" Chen Yi shouted, quickening her pace along the flower-lined path leading to the imperial garden. Shan Ling matched her speed, and it seemed as though they were racing each other. Clenching her teeth, Chen Yi channeled yellow spiritual qi into her palm and thrust it towards Shan Ling's chest.

Shan Ling deftly twisted away, gathering her own spiritual qi into her palm before launching it towards Chen Yi. The two young women, hastening their steps, engaged in a one-on-one battle with their nimble palms. As Chen Yi neared the end of the floral path, indicating their proximity to the imperial garden, she saw two tall figures blocking the entrance. In an attempt to avoid a collision, one figure swiftly pulled the other aside, causing Chen Yi to stumble and fall. Shan Ling, unable to stop in time, tumbled on top of her.

The two ladies looked up at the figures who had evaded them; it was Wu Qingge, holding Liu Xiao close with his arms gently around his waist and a soft smile on his face, while Liu Xiao stared back in astonishment. How come they're all here!? The world is indeed small! Liu Xiao thought while looking at the messy crowd at the imperial palace.

Shan Ling suddenly stood up, adjusting her hair and dress. She gave Wu Qingge a sweet smile and began, "Brother Wu, I-" However, Chen Yi interrupted by placing a hand on her face, standing with her usual cold and serious expression, and clearing her throat. "Brother Wu, Brother Liu, and Master Mo have tasked me with ensuring your safety in case of an emergency," stated Chen Yi, maintaining her poker face.

No one even ordered you to come here—Bai Lan's thoughts.

Liu Xiao stood in a daze, yet managed to respond, "I see." The situation was indeed urgent; the persistent old men were relentlessly pursuing Wu Qingge. The arrival of Chen Yi and Bai Lan brought a sigh of relief. Liu Xiao's gaze shifted to the tall, slender woman clad in a scant blood-red robe, her hair loosely tied in a ponytail. "Shan Ling? What brings you here?"

"Brother Liu Xiao, Shan Ling offers her greetings! I actually came for Brother W—mmph!" Before she could finish, Chen Yi clamped a hand over Shan Ling's mouth, interjecting, "I found her wandering around earlier. Allow me to escort her away since Bai Shixiong is here to assist you." With that, Chen Yi began to lead Shan Ling away from the imperial garden, despite Shan Ling's attempts to break free from her hold.

Liu Xiao opened his mouth to speak, but at that moment, he felt Wu Qingge's hands gently ascend to his waist. Turning towards him, he saw Wu Qingge gazing intently with his characteristic gentle smile. "Let's depart, Gege. They are capable of dealing with those nuisances." Despite Liu Xiao's insistence on helping, Wu Qingge silenced him with a finger to his lips and a simple shake of his head. Catching Bai Lan's stern look, Liu Xiao had no choice but to offer an awkward smile and wave before being led away by Wu Qingge.

Stepping further from the imperial garden, curiosity overcame Liu Xiao. In a hushed tone brimming with softness, he inquired, "Wu Shidi, to where are we headed?" Wu Qingge drew him closer, their shoulders brushing gently against each other, and whispered, "Somewhere quiet." Quiet? Isn't it better to fight those elders so you can gain experience? *sigh* Wu Qingge, what experience are you going to gain if you're with me all the time?