C H A P T E R 2 9

— • —

Chapter 29: The Unexpected Reunion

Liu Xiao was taken aback as he gazed at the man before him. The face that once seemed youthful is now marked by maturity. His long, dark brown hair cascaded smoothly down to his waist. His physique had become robust, towering over Liu Xiao, and the black and red robe he donned suited him far better than the customary light blue robe he wore atop Mount Hua Peak.

Anxiety flickered in Wu Qingge's red eyes as he peered at Liu Xiao, his lips tightly sealed. He refrained from uttering a single word or offering an explanation. Faced with the dilemma of greeting the man or feigning unconsciousness, Liu Xiao chose neither, opting instead to flee.

"G-GEGE!!" Wu Qingge's call halted him, his grip firm on Liu Xiao's wrist. Liu Xiao winced in pain, his eyes squeezed shut. Noticing the discomfort he caused, Wu Qingge promptly released his hold on Liu Xiao's arm and parted his lips to speak, but Liu Xiao had already turned to run once more.

"Gege, please!" Wu Qingge implored, seizing Liu Xiao's arm to forestall his escape. Though Liu Xiao resisted the urge to meet Wu Qingge's gaze, his body ceased its flight, and he remained silent. "I anticipated Gege would flee upon seeing me, so I apologize," Wu Qingge murmured, his deep voice fading to a whisper as he endeavored to explain, his grip on Liu Xiao trembling.

Despite Wu Qingge's subdued tone, Liu Xiao could discern every word. "I..." With quivering lips, Liu Xiao attempted to articulate his turmoil. A whirlwind of emotions engulfed him, leaving him reeling with dizziness. He bit his lip, striving to voice coherent thoughts, yet what emerged was perhaps the most senseless utterance he had ever made.

"...I'm gonna fart."

Both of them kept quiet. Liu Xiao shut his eyes tightly, then clenched his fist and silently cursed himself inside his mind. Of all the things you could say to the protagonist, you say you're going to fart?! The fuck Feng Xi—I mean Liu Xiao! Where is your brain? Where is the IQ of the modern era?! Did it rot while you stayed in this ancient world full of cultivation?! Choke yourself right now and die! v(;'༎ຶД༎ຶ')v

Liu Xiao could no longer bear it and infused his feet with spiritual qi before soaring high into the sky. He breathed a sigh of relief, but abruptly, his waist was seized firmly, and he descended sharply onto the rooftop. Liu Xiao experienced no pain or discomfort because he was cushioned by arms supporting his back and head. Looking up, he saw Wu Qingge above him, gazing down with sorrowful eyes, his hands quivering as they held him.

"Gege, please don't run away," Wu Qingge implored, resting his head on Liu Xiao's shoulder as their bodies lay intertwined on the roof's chilly tiles. Overwhelmed, Liu Xiao abruptly rose to his feet, his cheeks burning with embarrassment and his heart pounding audibly.

What the hell is wrong with me? What was that? What is this? Am I crazy? Did I become bent? No, no, this is just because I'm nervous! Yeah right! This is my nervous state; it's nothing weird!

He cast a glance at Wu Qingge, who was gazing at him with puppy eyes from behind. His expression soured, feeling that his demonic aura and appearance were ill-suited to such innocent eyes, and he swiftly averted his gaze. With a sigh, he contemplated the futility of escape; Wu Qingge, being the almighty Demon King and the unparalleled protagonist of the tale, would inevitably catch up. Liu Xiao sought solace in deep, rhythmic breaths before posing the question, "When did you return?"

A hint of light returned to Wu Qingge's somber face as she replied, "I came back the day before you encountered me at the gambling den."

Liu Xiao hesitated briefly before turning to face him, his eyes clouded with concern. "You're not injured, are you?" he inquired.