C H A P T E R 4 5

— • —

Chapter 45: The Man in the Golden Dragon Robe, Part 5

A shimmering wave of transparent silver spiritual qi sliced through the ranks of the demonic entities, each possessing the body of a deceased human and the head of a fox. Bai Lan wielded his blade with fluid precision, executing each strike with the serene grace of a calligrapher crafting elegant characters on smooth parchment. In a matter of moments, the half-human, half-fox demons lay in pieces at his feet.

Yet, with each demon they dispatched, more emerged to take their place, threatening to overwhelm the weary quartet. Sensing the encroaching fatigue, Shan Ling brandished her whip, its blue spiritual qi crackling with power as it lashed out, detonating the approaching demons like flesh-bound time bombs.

Meanwhile, Chen Yi floated serenely, her lips moving in a silent incantation as her hands traced intricate gestures. A radiant yellow spiritual qi emanated from her, casting a blinding glow that repelled the advancing horde, reducing some to naught but ashes.

Lan Yaang wielded his massive sword with ferocity, cleaving through the demonic horde as though they were mere insects. However, their collective stamina dwindled, and their reservoirs of spiritual qi neared depletion.

In a decisive moment, Chen Yi reached into her dimension ring, retrieving a cache of talismans. Infusing each with spiritual qi, she suspended them in mid-air and wove intricate patterns with her palms, connecting the talismans with strands of glowing spiritual energy.

The luminous yellow strings interlinked the hovering talismans, which, in an instant, solidified into a robust barrier, warding off the relentless assault of the demonic horde.

Chen Yi: "EVERYONE STOP FIGHTING AND GET INSIDE THE BARRIER!!!"

Shan Ling, Bai Lan, and Lan Yang, their blades dripping with the blood of demons, momentarily halted their onslaught and cast a glance toward Chen Yi, who remained ensconced within the protective confines of the sturdy yellow barrier. In a swift motion, they sheathed their weapons and leaped into the barrier, causing any half-human, half-fox demons attempting to breach its defenses to be reduced to nothing but ash.

As the trio caught their breath within the relative safety of the barrier, it was Chen Yi who broke the silence. "What are these creatures?"

Bai Lan, his expression tinged with weariness, responded softly, "They likely belong to a specific demon clan."

Shan Ling, also taking a moment to recover, interjected, "Which means..."

Lan Yang, meticulously cleaning the blood from his blade with a fatigued demeanor, nodded in agreement. "Yes. There's an open gateway to the underworld concealed here."

Bai Lan: "...."

Chen Yi: "...."

Shan Ling: "...."

The four of them fell into a contemplative silence, each lost in their own thoughts. Suddenly, Bai Lan, feeling a resurgence of energy, jolted with realization. "Where's Liu Xiao?!"

Chen Yi's expression darkened. "He was likely abducted by the demon cult leader himself while his underlings kidnapped us."

Shan Ling's lips curled in disdain. "Pathetic."

Bai Lan's brow furrowed with concern. "Then he's in grave danger! We must find him!"

Chen Yi sighed, her gaze shifting between the burning remnants of the half-human, half-fox demons and the dimly lit path from which they emerged. "Before we search for Brother Liu, let's destroy the underworld gate."