C H A P TE R 4 7

— • —

Chapter 47: The Demon Mermaid; The Serpent of The Sea, Part 2

"Jiejie."

Shan Ling waved Chen Yi over to check out the pitch-black ocean. Chen Yi, knowing Shan Ling could be a bit much sometimes, debated ignoring her. But out of sheer curiosity, she wandered over to the edge of the black and purple ship and followed Shan Ling's gaze.

"What is it?" Chen Yi said bluntly with her calm expression.

"See that, Jiejie? It looks weird. It seems like a little light."

"Where?"

"Right there."

Chen Yi caught sight of a teal-colored glow in the vast ocean. The tiny light pulsed in and out slowly, its reflection shimmering on the water's surface as if it were dancing, even though it remained still beneath the waves.

Frowning, Chen Yi focused intently on the mysterious light, watching as it grew larger and larger until she couldn't believe her eyes. With a start, she jumped back, pulling Shan Ling with her.

"Get ready for a fight!"

Without hesitation, everyone drew their weapons, scanning the dark expanse of the ocean with wary eyes.

"What... what is it?!" Liu Xiao, just recently roused from sleep with a bit of drool on his chin, joined them, unsheathing his sword.

"Gege, stay down," Wu Qingge urged.

"No way," Liu Xiao protested.

Wu Qingge sighed, knowing Liu Xiao's stubbornness all too well when it came to battle. He didn't like being a burden and always preferred to help, even when he was in danger himself.

Liu Xiao looked around in confusion. "What's going on? Is it the fish?"

Chen Yi, Shan Ling, Bai Lan, and Lan Yang turned to him, puzzled. Liu Xiao returned their looks with a bemused expression. "What? Didn't you all see the fish following us earlier?"

"....."

"....."

"....."

"....."

Chen Yi's veins practically popped as she scowled, her grip on her sword tightening as she bellowed, "Are you kidding me?! Why didn't you say something sooner?! Look at what we're facing now! We're basically food now!"

Liu Xiao, visibly shaken by Chen Yi's outburst, darted behind Wu Qingge for protection, stammering, "I-I'm sorry! I thought it was just a harmless fish! And us as food? Shouldn't they be the ones getting eaten, not us?!"

Chen Yi slapped her forehead in exasperation, letting out a heavy sigh. "You really... Brother Liu, sometimes you're sharp as a tack, and other times, well, not so much. I don't know what to do with you."

Liu Xiao pouted and grumbled behind Wu Qingge's back. Chen Yi then turned to Bai Lan and suggested, "Bai Shixiong, try using sword flight."

Bai Lan nodded, infusing his sword with spiritual qi and attempting to levitate on it. However, as soon as he tried, the silver energy around the sword fizzled out, and Bai Lan landed back on the ship with a thud.

Frowning, Bai Lan muttered, "Is this some sort of flight barrier?"

Chen Yi nodded. "Yes. We can channel our spiritual qi from below, but if we try from above, the barrier disperses it."