CHAPTER 13

As Akeela stepped out of her room to the staircase leading to the living room where her groom-to-be and parents were seated with her parents, her heels announced her presence and all eyes fell on her.

Jamal's eyes locked with hers instantly.

He gazed at her in awe, surprised by the mesmerizing beauty, wondering what planet she was coming from.
Her silky gown was held by her petite body, bringing out her curvy shape.

There was a veil tied around her face which was flowing at the back of her gown. There was a silver chain on her neck, matching her outfit and her crystal heels.

Her brows were full and her lips were shinning from the makeup and gloss applied to her face which she kicked against at first, until her mother stepped into her room, making her stop her protest about not making up.

"What the hell!" Oye, Jamal's friend exclaimed with mouth agape as Akeela stood on the last stairs, before slowly moving towards them.

Jamal heard Oye and turned to throw him a harsh glare. Oye noticed the look from his friend who was seated on an armchair beside him and he shut his mouth.

Akeela's mother was with a satisfied look on her face and a smirk as she watched everyone looking at her gorgeous daughter.

Her sleepless nights were worth it, she thoughts. Her efforts to make Akeela presentable and beautiful on a day like this were not in vain.

Jamal was intrigued. He wasn't expecting her to be this beautiful. She was stunning. He thought he was about to be married to a fat ugly illiterate.

He never knew her father was his father's colleague. He never knew she schooled in England. He never knew she was that beautiful. He knew absolutely nothing about her until he got to the house.

They got to Akeela's house after 2 pm and as they conversed, he got to know her father was the Barrister Rabiu his father was always talking about. He got to know she studied in England and just came back home. And then he got to know she was just not a lady but a damsel.

When his parents told him of the matchmaking, he didn't show any interest to know about the girl involved. He was just not interested in any woman other than Sarah. It was, later on, he got to know she was Haneefah's friend and that infuriated him the more.

The previous week, his mother had informed him that Akeela was coming back home the next week. That was how he got to know her name. He didn't bother to ask where she was coming from.

The more he looked at her, the more enthralled he was. She was looking calm and elegant with her shinning pointed nose. Her small eyes and her full lips.

Her mother gestured her to a seat near him after she exchanged pleasantries with every one of those seated, including her uncle and wife, as well as Jamal's friend who wouldn't stop ogling her.

Jamal felt like hitting the hell out of Oye.

When Akeela reclined to the space near Jamal, their eyes interlocked again.

Jamal's breath ceased.

Seeing her from afar took his breath away but being near him, he could hardly breathe. He couldn't look away from the ocean of her crystal clear eyes.

"Today is indeed a great day for us. I would like to introduce the couples to each other", Akeela's mother spoke up, jolting Jamal out of his reverie.

His eyes met with Oye and he winked at Jamal.

Everyone seemed to be happy, except me, Akeela observed.

Her father was in a dashiki dress, seated like a bride's father. Akeem and Rahma were with a smile on their faces. Jamal's parents too were smiling. Another guy was on the right-hand side of Jamal, grinning from ear to ear, like the groom of the day. Haneefah was seated beside the guy.